new owner

panther77

well i just went yesterday and bought a 2004 black 4 door short bed. 6.0. needs 2 injectors and a turbo boot. got i t for a hell of a deal cause the guy i got it from really had no clue was a older man. anyways the thing is stock expect for the dpf stuff is gone behind turbo i think? im new too fords ive had alot of duramaxs and cummins never a ford figured id try it out. anyways. after i get those two things fixed what are some things too start out with too make these things sound good? i no that they whistle like a dang twin turbo truck. and i want mine doing that is it just simply exhast and cold air intake? or is there more too it then that? and what is the best tuner for power/fuelmilage? thanks guys! :ft:

1. Programmer = Custom tuned SCT X3
2. Exhaust = 4 or 5 inch exhaust The 03's are the ones that whistle, maybe the early 04's maybe. The rest sound like pissed of vacum cleaners.
3. Intake = Whatever you want but I would keep stock or a drop in Air Raid filter.
4. Do a full egr delete and oil cooler. It'll help prevent the possibilty of needing head studs.
5. Save money for doing headstuds.
6. Adding a coolant filter is becomming a popular add on also. I have not done this yet and still out for judgment.

Drive and enjoy! Put your put foot in its a$$ every once and a while to keep the turbo free.

If not done already join PSN alot of good info over there.

Last edited:
In addition to that make sure you change all filters and fluids regularly. The 6.0 is pretty picky when it comes to maintenance. I would add a coolant filter as well.

thanks for replys guys. well this is a 2004 that has a 2003 6.0 motor so it should sound good? so you wouldnt buy whole aftermarket intake kit just drop in filter? and as far as injector number 8 and 5 being down should i just buy two stock ones and put back in or should i get all 8 overstock ones? im just confused on the whole cc ford thing with injectors lol.

thanks for replys guys. well this is a 2004 that has a 2003 6.0 motor so it should sound good? so you wouldnt buy whole aftermarket intake kit just drop in filter? and as far as injector number 8 and 5 being down should i just buy two stock ones and put back in or should i get all 8 overstock ones? im just confused on the whole cc ford thing with injectors lol.

Most people will tell you that a whole intake system is pointless. What I would do is get a drop in air filter so you can clean it when its dirty. The one I have goes inside of the factory filter housing. You cut the guts out and slide in the new filter. For the injectors I would just replace the bad ones. No sense in spending more money than you have to. Also Diesel site boots are about the best you can get. Here is the filter I have...

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new.php?partno=10-10100&diesel=true&&brandID=59

Last edited:
Most people will tell you that a whole intake system is pointless. What I would do is get a drop in air filter so you can clean it when its dirty. The one I have goes inside of the factory filter housing. You cut the guts out and slide in the new filter. For the injectors I would just replace the bad ones. No sense in spending more money than you have to. Also Diesel site boots are about the best you can get. Here is the filter I have...

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new.php?partno=10-10100&diesel=true&&brandID=59

X2!

Or:Airaid - Product Search

Several sponsors sell both.

On the injectors. I would just replace the two bad ones. It is not a bad job to do yourself. You can p/u them up at the ford dealership or International dealership. I would stick with those two because of warranty and quality. Most of them are going to be remans. The way I look at it is if it is good enough for them and them to warranty then good enough for me. If you do a search you will learn about it. 28 ft/lbs is the torque for the hold downs that most people use.

yeah ive heard tho that while you have it all off go ahead and change all 8 cause down the road who knows in 3 or 4 months if 2 more will go out. i found some good deals on river city diesel
6.0L Ford Fuel Injectors

anyone tell me if any of that is any good or just stick with 2 stock reman ones? thanks!

I would save the money and just replace the two bad ones. Injectors on these are really hit or miss. You could install all eight and in two months replace a bad one or two, like I said hit or miss.

Replace what needs to be replaced and then install a coolant filter.

thanks guys. any tips on the coolent filter what do i need too buy exactly and what are the ups too it? whats it save/do

It filters out the sand/sludge from the coolant. It will help save your oil cooler, water pump and thermostat.

This thread has been helpful I am in the same boat as panther77 but my engine is running great .... I have heard about a dpf delete ..... is this a good upgrade to do

If it's got a lot of miles on it and you're REALLY worried about the other six injectors then it's never a bad idea to yank em, clean them up and put new o-rings on them since you're already in there, but if they're hitting good then I'd leave them alone and just change the two. Don't want to cloud your head if you've already made up your mind, just another option. Those are great engines when maintained properly and the correct mods are done. The egr delete is a must and if you plan on turning up the tune, you gotta do studs. MKM customs sells complete kits with the egr delete, studs, oil cooler etc. for a decent price.