New tires, slight problem.

M_cummins09

This past weekend, I purchased a new tire for my 06 cummins, daily driver. I got a 35" nitto trail grappler. My past tire was a 35", 6 ply Mickey Thompson!
The new tire is a 10 ply. Should this cause my mpg to drop over 3 miles to the gallon?

your new tire is heavier, but shouldnt really effect mpg.

Tires can have a big effect on MPG, especially if you are talking about big construction differences (IE 6ply vs 10ply). I wouldn't hesitate to say that kind of tire change would have a 2-3 mpg mileage effect. Overall weight, construction, and compounds play a huge factor.

Another thing to take into consideration.....I am assuming you replaced your other tires because the tread was gone. Now you added the mass of the tread depth, and the much heavier construction......it all addes up.

Tires can have a big effect on MPG, especially if you are talking about big construction differences (IE 6ply vs 10ply). I wouldn't hesitate to say that kind of tire change would have a 2-3 mpg mileage effect. Overall weight, construction, and compounds play a huge factor.

Another thing to take into consideration.....I am assuming you replaced your other tires because the tread was gone. Now you added the mass of the tread depth, and the much heavier construction.
2-3mpg for 1 tire?

Well assuming he is running 4 tires like on most trucks (......sorry, had to:lolly:)

There can be some other factors in the equation like the OD differences between worn and new, exact driving habits and route when comparing, etc...that can be throwing it off a bit.

But even considering all that, YES.....tires play a huge role.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it! I baby this truck, and drive it right.
Now that I have solved that problem, what can I do to at least get it back up to what it was?

I went from 285 to 325 both are 33'' tires,now MPG is lower by 2 or 3 miles. Being my new tire is heavy and wider I was excepting a difference but not that much. What is your average MPG?

I still cant see changing 1 tire making his mileage drop 2-3mpg.

sorry I misunderstood. I thought you changed one tire. Thats where your mileage went.

Check your tire pressures all around. Also make sure each tire is on contact with the road fully when doing so. I had a similar problem when I had my dc fc IIs on and I aired them up and everything was solved. I found the highest pressure with 100% contact yields the most mileage. But everyone is correct with the weight responses as well

Did you notice a left hand pull with those Nitto's?

Also, did you happen to alter your speedo calibration while having the Mickey T's? Between manufacturers, tires vary greatly in actual size vs. stated size.... Being that Nittos are made by Toyo and Toyo tends to greatly oversize their tires, you might have way taller tires than before and the slower spinning tires can affect your speedometer and calculated MPG (you'll see less MPH on the speedo, therefore less MPG).

Last edited:
Did you notice a left hand pull with those Nitto's?

Also, did you happen to alter your speedo calibration while having the Mickey T's? Between manufacturers, tires vary greatly in actual size vs. stated size.... Being that Nittos are made by Toyo and Toyo tends to greatly oversize their tires, you might have way taller tires than before and the slower spinning tires can affect your speedometer and calculated MPG (you'll see less MPH on the speedo, therefore less MPG).

Yes, I have most deff noticed the pull

Back