New to 6.0L and wanting Mods

jyarber

Whats up fellas.. Been a member of fordtruckworld for a while and have heard a bunch about this board so I figured Id come check it out. Well here we go.. Im not new to powerstrokes but Im new to the 6.0L. Got a 2004 and wanting to start the mods. So far Im going to go with the basics. MBRP 5" Turbo back exhaust (straight pipe). AFE Stage 2 xp intake system and then SCT programmer. Now I have been reading a lot lately about this sct and it seems to be the baddest on the market. Now as far as the tuner goes whos the best one to buy from. I want the most hp possible just like all of yall but I also like be kinda safe about it and keep my tranny shifting nice as long as possible. I know when you buy the sct that it comes with 3 files of your choice. I was curious what the hp settings of tow, race, looney and extreme are. Ill be installing the banks intercooler kit also to try and pick up a little extra hp and keep those egt's down. 1400F is about what most of yall run when WOT for a long period of time right? Whats the danger zone that you dont want to reach on the egts?

Without starting a flame war, I think just about any tuner that has been doing it for a while will do you right. You just want to be clear on what you want to do withthe truck up front. You can get the EGT's high for short periods of time without damage, it is long sustained temps that melt stuff. Welcome to the site man!

jyarber said:
Whats up fellas.. Been a member of fordtruckworld for a while and have heard a bunch about this board so I figured Id come check it out. Well here we go.. Im not new to powerstrokes but Im new to the 6.0L. Got a 2004 and wanting to start the mods. So far Im going to go with the basics. MBRP 5" Turbo back exhaust (straight pipe). AFE Stage 2 xp intake system and then SCT programmer. Now I have been reading a lot lately about this sct and it seems to be the baddest on the market. Now as far as the tuner goes whos the best one to buy from. I want the most hp possible just like all of yall but I also like be kinda safe about it and keep my tranny shifting nice as long as possible. I know when you buy the sct that it comes with 3 files of your choice. I was curious what the hp settings of tow, race, looney and extreme are. Ill be installing the banks intercooler kit also to try and pick up a little extra hp and keep those egt's down. 1400F is about what most of yall run when WOT for a long period of time right? Whats the danger zone that you dont want to reach on the egts?

looney is what DJ calls one of his tunes. its not a generic name, get in touch with DJ or viv if you need specifics on the tune; but as timmy said any tuner will be able to hook you up with some :evil ..... might have to try a few to see whos tunes you like the best tho

So the looney file is made by dj Im guessing? Can anyone tell me how much hp that file is producing? How does the tranny shift for yall that run that file? Also do they have a website?

Sounds like you got the bases covered, but one thing you might want to consider is waiting a little while on the sct as they've got a new one coming out called the livewire and it sounds awesome. Don't know if it's something you'd want but you might want to check it out before getting the xcal2, then find out you like the new version better.

whats the benefits between the xcal2 and the livewire? Do you think they will have any bugs to work out of it since its going to be new? I just hate buying new products when they havent been out for a while because I dont want it to tear my truck up.

Last edited:
I run Djs looney tune on my 06 and the transmission is what I am happiest about with this tune, well I guess that's a lie. I like the raw power it puts down better. you will be very happy with an sct tuner. I haven't dynod anything but if I remember the looney tune ads somewhere around 150hp and 200+ft lbs and you definatly will notice a difference. good luck.

Can someone tell me what all files that they have to choose from? What kind of egt's does it run on the looney file?

Back