New to Comp D

Franken_Truck

Franken_Truck
I will probably wear you guys out with questions as I continue learning how to make streetable power with a P Pump 12v.
My toy / experiment is a 1995 2500 4wd extended cab long bad that I cut down to a "Shortie" (straight cab short bed) and used bunches of parts from various years to get it where it currently is.
I'm running a Garmon built 47rh. Farrell built 180 P Pump, home built Triple He351cw's that currently have 67/76 10 blade turbine in manifold charger with 74/76 10 blade turbines in the atmos. All currently have stock 60mm compressors...... for now. 625 studs (one at a time), 21* timing, AFC Live, Street conical valve springs, 5k gov springs, 191 dv's, home built emergency air shut-off. 3.54 gears with 35x15.5x20 Furys on 14" wide -44 offset wheels. Only made a little over 600hp on the dyno last year. I made a poor choice of HP Turbine and stock lo psi turbines. it wasn't happy. LP boost was 52psi and total was only 65, and it was hot by the time we ran it out to 4200rpm.

Started small and am planning a bunch of incremental changes to see what each does instead of swinging for the fence all at once. I have a future build in the works that will get the results from my experiments.

I'm learning but still somewhat ignorant when it comes to understanding Diesel performance. Blown alcohol was my bag in the 90's.... yes I'm old.

What's everyone's opinion on straight cut gears for P Pump engines, and who makes them? I've seen Todd at PDD beat stuff up with his big pumps, and read about the issues related to P Pump vibration and helical drive gearing.
Are Racers & Pullers having them made or have they figured out using the helicals?

That's all for starters...... Thanks

Put the timing up to around 30*, I bet it likes it. Burn more fuel.in the cylinder, instead of into the turbine.

The 191s could go down the road for a set of 7mms too. Or even a set of 024s. Not dissing the afc live but for your application I think just a proper afc spring and the typical afc mods from the "afc simplified" thread on here would be best unless the pump shop already fixed it up with the travel it needs.

Porting those internal waste gates and monitoring drive and interstage pressures will help. IAT, if the room is available for another gauge as well. I really liked adam foltz old tripe setup. That truck ran good.

I will probably wear you guys out with questions as I continue learning how to make streetable power with a P Pump 12v.
My toy / experiment is a 1995 2500 4wd extended cab long bad that I cut down to a "Shortie" (straight cab short bed) and used bunches of parts from various years to get it where it currently is.
I'm running a Garmon built 47rh. Farrell built 180 P Pump, home built Triple He351cw's that currently have 67/76 10 blade turbine in manifold charger with 74/76 10 blade turbines in the atmos. All currently have stock 60mm compressors...... for now. 625 studs (one at a time), 21* timing, AFC Live, Street conical valve springs, 5k gov springs, 191 dv's, home built emergency air shut-off. 3.54 gears with 35x15.5x20 Furys on 14" wide -44 offset wheels. Only made a little over 600hp on the dyno last year. I made a poor choice of HP Turbine and stock lo psi turbines. it wasn't happy. LP boost was 52psi and total was only 65, and it was hot by the time we ran it out to 4200rpm.

Started small and am planning a bunch of incremental changes to see what each does instead of swinging for the fence all at once. I have a future build in the works that will get the results from my experiments.

I'm learning but still somewhat ignorant when it comes to understanding Diesel performance. Blown alcohol was my bag in the 90's.... yes I'm old.

What's everyone's opinion on straight cut gears for P Pump engines, and who makes them? I've seen Todd at PDD beat stuff up with his big pumps, and read about the issues related to P Pump vibration and helical drive gearing.
Are Racers & Pullers having them made or have they figured out using the helicals?

I called PDD about straight cut gears years ago. If I remember right they went through Kennys pulling parts.

The 191s could go down the road for a set of 7mms too. Or even a set of 024s. Not dissing the afc live but for your application I think just a proper afc spring and the typical afc mods from the "afc simplified" thread on here would be best unless the pump shop already fixed it up with the travel it needs.
Seth built my Pump and calibrated it to 450cc @ 40psi from AFC Live. He used to use 7mm DV's but went to 191's. PDD mentioned they approved of the switch on pumps he (builds or used to) do for them. I have considered trying 024 or 025 (PDD version of 024?).

I called PDD about straight cut gears years ago. If I remember right they went through Kennys pulling parts.
I'm sure they aren't cheap. From all of the reading I've done if running a "jacked up" P Pump straight cut gears make sense. I have a suspicion that gears walking off, cam thrust bearing and retainer issues, and the need to weld gears stems from the axial thrust generated by the helical tooth angle and the pulsing load of the more radical pumps. I don't know at what point they would become "cheap insurance", or if there would be unintended consequences of switching to straight cuts.

I noticed 74/76 should be 64/76 turbines in the atmosphere pair. Just trying to be accurate. Gotta love typo's.

Porting those internal waste gates and monitoring drive and interstage pressures will help. IAT, if the room is available for another gauge as well. I really liked adam foltz old tripe setup. That truck ran good.
I have enlarged and ported the manifold charger gate. I have a turbo tuner on it blocking boost until 40psi and then ramping in at 1:1 from there. The atm. pair gates are blocked shut... however I did boost / drive pressure experiments by putting flimsy throttle return springs on them and letting them blow open. Pressure ratios across stages improved drastically pointing to a need for improved turbine flow through the atmosphere stage. I switched to clipped stock atmo turbines and things improved over the stock turbines. Then I bored and switched to 64/76 ten blade turbines. Indications are it is another step in the right direction but I haven't done a full fuel test pull with them. I also have clipped 64/76s and 67/76 turbines to test when I get time. On the gauges, I have boost and drive psi on both stages, AFC Live psi, wastegate psi. out of turbo tuner, Manifold egt., fuel psi, Trans temp, adding underhood temp, and 1st stage air temp.