New to CompD with 700+WHP 6.7.

Cody@LoveFab

Thought I'd say hey guys.

I'm a regular over on Cumminsforum but I'm looking for a little more "hardcore" of an experience. Nothing against Cumminsforum but 95% of the crowd over there seems to be stuck on Tuners and Intakes.

We (me and my right hand man Frank) built the Dodge from the groud up. We purchased the truck as a new '08 and took delivery one year ago today! The current modification list is as follows:

LoveFab Compound kit
Precision 76mm Billet primary turbo
Precision 67mm Billet secondary turbo
TiAL 44mm and 38mm wastegates
I.I. Dual CP3
I.I. 90HP nozzles
ARP 425's
Fass 95/150
Southbend Triple disk
H&S XRT

Coming soon(next week):
ARP 625's
Browns Fire Ring
AEM Meth Injection

Here's the setup and the truck, old VGT turbo setup pictured:

dualCP3%20003.jpg

dualCP3%20007.jpg

YouTube Dyno Video, 6th gear pull:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4LrFLjCNHI

A little more background:

I got sick of the VGT acting up which caused erratic drive and boost pressures. So we recently put the 67mm in place of that. I'm hoping for 800+whp once we get the Fire Ring setup dropped in. That is if the FASS can supply the fuel, as I think that's the current weak point.

I tried a new tune the other day that massacered the headgasket. It's only the 2nd headgasket failure but I'm sick of doing these. I'd rather re-torque the head studs every few months than pull the entire truck apart and break my back getting the head in and out.

We are done with the truck for the most part, except for routine maintenance and broken parts.

So HI!

-Cody

Welcome to CompD!

Most of our guys graduated from tuners a while back LOL How do you like the Precision units?

I've noticed :) I've been lurking for about a year.

The Precisions are great! The larger sizes are very pricey compared to the BW units, but secondary chargers are priced very competitively with the BW's. I'm considering trying out a large S400 as the primary if anything happens to the 76mm.

ive seen a few vids of it too. on the track putting down times that was impressing the racers.. i go to school with a kid that knows you cody.. he's from traverse city

i was going to say looking at that dyno run that you need some more air cause you have plenty of fuel. how do those turbos spool with the 90hp injectors?

Welcome to CompD! I'm also a fan of your truck and have been following it on CF for quite some time.

Scott

Hey Cody. Welcome over to the dark side where things get really expensive.

i was going to say looking at that dyno run that you need some more air cause you have plenty of fuel. how do those turbos spool with the 90hp injectors?

You're right, I did need more air. The turbos lit just fine, keep in mind i have almost a other liter of displacement. I ditched the vgt and slapped in a 67/68/.96 which basically cleaned up the tune I had. Ill update you guys when I get the fire rings installed.

Hey Cody. Welcome over to the dark side where things get really expensive.

LOL thanks Eric! Its been a pricey week already thanks to you. ;) I just need a little break to recoupe. Hopefully this thing holds together for awhile!

It's interesting the difference in the "new-ish" tuning for the 6.7 vs 5.9.

how big is a 90hp 6.7 injector anyways? "90s" shouldn't be making that much power, with that much extra soot, in a 5.9, hence my question.

You sure you need 625's and firerings for a measly 750hp and 50psi. You mentioned you went though a few gaskets already. I'd make sure timing isn't out of hand before you go any further. Even for 6.7 you shouldn't be blowing MLS gaskets and the cheap ARP's. Something to think about before putting a bandaid on there.

Not just me, but many others have made a lot more with a lot less. I managed to make your power with a single 64 ;-) With that said, take a good hard look at programming before your melt a motor.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! I'm fairly new to diesel's and will be the first to admit that. This is why I joined CompD, to try and learn more about the higher HP diesel applications. I've made pretty good power with gasoline Turbo engines but am just getting started with diesels.

To be honest, I have no idea what size injectors are in these motors. I do know that we have made 600whp/1100wtq on stock fuel systems with our twins on a couple of trucks.

I also don't have much control over the programming; I've used the H&S XRT since day one. I do know that the motor rattles pretty good on any of their "shelf tunes", and that both times I've spit a gasket was with their shelf tunes. All I can do at this point is request custom tunes with less timing, more fuel, etc.

Or I could switch to a Smarty and tune these options myself. We will see how things go with the new tunes and go from there.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm fairly new to diesel's and will be the first to admit that. This is why I joined CompD, to try and learn more about the higher HP diesel applications. I've made pretty good power with gasoline Turbo engines but am just getting started with diesels.

To be honest, I have no idea what size injectors are in these motors. I do know that we have made 600whp/1100wtq on stock fuel systems with our twins on a couple of trucks.

I also don't have much control over the programming; I've used the H&S XRT since day one. I do know that the motor rattles pretty good on any of their "shelf tunes", and that both times I've spit a gasket was with their shelf tunes. All I can do at this point is request custom tunes with less timing, more fuel, etc.

Or I could switch to a Smarty and tune these options myself. We will see how things go with the new tunes and go from there.

Timing. the bigger the injector the less timing you want If your making 750, you have closer to a "200hp" injector. Timing meant for stock injectors will be a bit much.

So some searching for a while and learn from others mistakes. That's what we are here for, in theory.

Yep, I've learned some of the timing ideologys, I just need to learn to trust my instinct, or rather further develop my instinct with diesels. When I loaded the new tune, I heard massive amounts of rattle at very low throttle's, think 10-15% and should have turned around and reloaded the tune that was in the truck. I run very low timing in all of the gas motors that I tune compared to what most others run and for the safety buffer I'm looking for in the diesel, I prefer the same. Like you stated, a relatively low 750HP doesn't need to be tuned on the fringe to make that extra bit of power.

Anyway, the FireRing situation is good preventative maintenence in my opinion. I tow with my truck more than anything else. I don't want to be climbing a 6% grade with 10k lbs load, 1400 miles from home, squeeze the throttle and run into headgasket issues. The fire rings will help prevent that; as long as I can get some timing pulled out of this thing ;)