New (to me) '04

Diesel-Dog

I just bought an '04 Ram with 79k miles on the truck. Extended cab and 8ft bed. I have never owned a diesel before, really needed a truck so this is what I got. It is in great shape!!!
So my question is, with a couple $$grand$$ to spare (I got a good deal) what are the first, basic mods everyone does? EFILive is gonna happen, but is there anything you would do before that?
It will be a fairly regular driver (I have another vehicle to get to work in too), used to maintain my hunting camp 1 hour away (good gas milage is important.......mostly x-way driving), pulling a trailer with a 38hp Kubota tractor and or a 4-wheeler sometimes.
I really like the HP some of you guys are getting and still able to drive on the street :ft:.......impressive!! Like I said, this is my first diesel. My only other "engine" experience is on my Harley, Hemi and 440. Whole new world for me.

:thankyou2:

4 or 5 inch turbo back exhaust, afe intake, smarty, possibly a clutch but also gauges! Boost and pyro are important, rail pressure and fuel pressure is also nice to have. After that is a lift pump, injectors, turbo, then supporting mods etc. It never ends.

Can you fill out your sig so we know weather or not the truck is 2wd or 4wd, auto or manual? Etc

First thing you need to look into is the lift pump (located on the back of the fuel filter housing) pressure. Those like to go out when least expected. I'd replace it with an aftermarket product of your choice.. Do the simple things like fluid changes on everything. Stock u-joints like to take a poop on these trucks, especially the front axle joints in my experience.
Keep clean diesel in it and changing the fuel filter on a regular basis should keep you in good shape.
Welcome to the compressed ignition side of the world.

che4ck to see if ya got an 04, or 04.5 by checking drivers side sticker on "valve cover" under hood, check hp rating, if 305, its an 04, if listed at 325 ya have an 04.5.... the 04 will get better mpg, the biggest thing to know is what you have, so you don't get the wrong upgrades.

Airdog, exhaust, and get a edge CTS for guages it will have about everything you will need starting off, and smarty (lots for sale on here)

When ever i buy a new truck for cheap/great deal I always look at changing all the fluids, front end (ie. upper and lower ball joints) and tires to make sure that the truck. Then i'd look at your tranny next before you start adding to much power from a programer like EFI live or a Smarty (depending on year of your truck). A intake to help your truck breath better (I have the S&B and can't complain other than having to clean the filter more often) and a exhaust to help you hear the power!

But just be careful! b/c the power is addicting!

Welcome to the good side and compd! I bought my 03 a little while ago and started a thread on here. Just shop around and also look for used stuff if you take your time you will find what you want at a good price.

....... and get a edge CTS for guages it will have about everything you will need starting off, and smarty (lots for sale on here)
I looked into both of these products, so now my question. It seems they both do the same thing (detect and erase DTC's, monitor speed, etc.) but the Smarty allows you to adjust horsepwer levels. The CTS is more of a guage cluster to monitor engine functions. Correct or no??? I would like to buy 1 unit and buy redundant electronics.

I'd wait for EFI Live to actually support your truck before spending your money on it

So EFILive software is not available for my truck? When/If it becomes available, would this set up take the place or work in conjunction with the EDGE CTS or the Smarty?

I looked into both of these products, so now my question. It seems they both do the same thing (detect and erase DTC's, monitor speed, etc.) but the Smarty allows you to adjust horsepwer levels. The CTS is more of a guage cluster to monitor engine functions. Correct or no??? I would like to buy 1 unit and buy redundant electronics.

So EFILive software is not available for my truck? When/If it becomes available, would this set up take the place or work in conjunction with the EDGE CTS or the Smarty?

So were these "uneducated, new-guy, stupid questions"?
My truck is en-route to me via shipping carrier and I want to add to it before the opening of deer season October 1

Thanks guys for the suggestions

correct EFI isnt out yet for trucks prior to 06. Hopefully it will be released before long. The Edge CTS is a power adder along with gauges. Not a bad programmer at all for what your plans are.

Good luck and have fun with your new ride!

You can buy the CTS as a monitor only. Different part number than the monitor/tuner.