new to the electronic world of diesel

skilletky

i love lamp
just recently bought a 01 rclb 3500 5sp. i have worked on these several times, just never have upgraded anything on them. looking to get low to mild performance gains. here is the plan so far.

airdog 150
rv275's or maybe a 100 horse injector
edge comp box
5 inch exhaust
i replaced the stock air box with a BHAF
may pull the 64/71/14 off my 1st gen and put it on here

i dont know what works best on these vp44 trucks. i do know that i need a lift pump upgrade 1st. right now the fuel pressure is 14 psig at idle and can be pulled down to 7 or 8 psig at high rpms. anyone suggest something different or is this a good plan. its a daily driver and will problably end up trailering the 1st gen to the track.

If you run the 64/71/14 on you '01 I think you'd be happiest with at least a 200hp injector.

Sounds like a good starting point. The 100s and a 64/71/14 might be a bit laggy. 120s or 150s would be better, or a 62/71/14 with the 100s would be better.

i may get a s300g or a 62/65/13 or 14 for it then and leave the 64 on the 1st gen. not really looking to go that big of an injector yet. i really dont want to get too crazy with this truck, even though im sure ill have another truck i cant really tow with in a year or two.

was going to say: if you want a 64 on a vp truck, you're going to need some 7x.012's or 6x.013's to fuel it...

if you only want 100hp injectors: go with a S300g or super b single (basically the same thing, just one has a 12cm^2 housing, the other has a 14cm^2 housing with a bigger adjustable gate)

lift pump depends on what kinda future power you want...

up to 500hp you can get away with a 95/100GPH lift pump

over 500hp you want 150GPH+

you can go big now on the lift pump and run it with a stock truck...they have pressure regulators on them and return lines on the nicer systems to keep load on the pump minimal.

Last edited:
gonna put a 62/71/14 on it, air dog 100 gph, rv275's, 5 inch exhaust, and the edge comp. is it worth the extra money to get the comp drag box? ive gotten mixed reviews from people on this. im thinking comp drag.

I hear the tst comp is the way to go n stack it with a box that adds timing like a smarty, but you can do what you want.

thanks for the advise. ive heard that set up works really well, but the smarty makes it pretty smokey. i dont want this truck to smoke that much, if at all. i may go that route in later on if i decide i want more power. im just wanting a little more go that i can tow with. do the comp boxes add timing? i searched some and never really did find an answer.

gonna put a 62/71/14 on it, air dog 100 gph, rv275's, 5 inch exhaust, and the edge comp. is it worth the extra money to get the comp drag box? ive gotten mixed reviews from people on this. im thinking comp drag.

good luck trying to spool that turbo with 40hp injectors... :doh:

it will lag like a pig, run hot as hell, and NEVER reach its potential boost levels...

you need 7x.010 injectors (150hp) to have enough fuel to make that turbo worth while...

i guess im gonna have to bite the bullet and get 150's. i ran a 62/71/14 on my 1st gen with pretty small injectors and it wasnt too bad, of course, its and auto. i was gonna run the 275's for a while, then eventually get 150's for play time. was just gonna go ahead and get the 62/71, but if its that big of a pig with the rv275's, then f them. i went through 3 turbos trying to find one that worked the best for my 1st gen. dont want to do that again with this truck.

So why not get injectors first and keep the fueling box turned down a bit till you are ready for a turbo?

in other words get your 150's now, and run the stock turbo with a boost elbow set to 35psi (you will be needing that gate to open to prevent overspool)

then whenever you are ready, get your 62/71, or better yet, a 63/68...

just food for thought.

I figured in my head that 150's with a stock turbo would be too hot and smokey, even without a box.

got the comp drag box hooked up and an airdog 150 on the way. a lot more fun to drive. are the head gaskets on the 24 valves only good for 40-45 psi of boost like the 12 valves?

quality 7x.010's will do fine with a stock turbo if you keep the box turned down to timing only.

just control your right foot, get a boost elbow for the turbo, and set it for 35psi. it'll run like a champ.

digging up an old thread looking for more suggestions. so far, ive got a set of DAP 7x.012's with lift, 64/71/14 turbo, edge comp box with hot unlock, and a smarty. love the way it runs, but was thinking if it would be worth it to get a tst comp. ive read that they work awesome together. ive been running the smarty on sw6 and the edge on 5-2. should i stay with the edge, or get a tst?