new to the forum... with a blown motor help me out!

cameron_miller9

Hey fellas, new to the forum. Wanted to get some suggestions on putting this truck back together. The short of it is, I think i dropped a ring/melted a piston. Noticed it was running like crap on a short run to my buddies house right down the street, it sounded like it was getting worse, a chattering noise and the turbo was making uhhh, non turbo sounding noises. I watched the oil pressure fall off to zero and white smoke pouring out of the tail pipe, obviously pulled over immediately and found smokey nastyness coming out of the crankcase vent and a badass knock in the motor. this all happened pretty quick, within about a quarter to half a mile. I got it back in the shop right now and after talking with my friend the shop owner we've decided to go back together with coated parts for extra heat deflection, an o-ring job on the heads, resurfacing, and some good head studs. All the normal balancing. new bearings etc. but when i get to the fueling aspect Im kind of stuck, dont know what to do about injectors/turbo/pump combo. I was looking into the bag o parts kit, 60 hp inj and a phatshaft from industrial injection but i've gotten some negative feedback on that. I'm already dropping a pretty sweet nickel on just the bottom end and headwork so i dont have another 10 grand laying around to do anything ridiculous.

Question being how much will the stock pump hold up to, should i bust out the dough and get a good aftermarket pump or does someone make a reliable rebuild kit for the stock pump with better flow. I was thinking maybe the Arson 3 kit possibly, its seems like a cheap alternative to buying a new bigger cp3.

What size/brand injectors are best and why. Would it be cheaper and better to rebuild stock injectors with bigger nozzles? I found some from Diesel power parts that are new and the body is stainless steel, apparently bosch started making these in 2009? i dont know much about them but they are new and custom honed to 90hp injectors. I'm completely open to some suggestions though.

What size/brand turbo ^ ''. I talked to wayne zimmerman at midwest truck products and talked to him about his 63 mm turbo, sounds like it fits my application fairly well and leaves me with a good starting turbo for a twin setup later. also at 1400 bucks i think its a good deal. does anyone have any experience working with him or his products? He seemed pretty knowledable and was very helpful!

I really dont need to make ridiculous number right away, i'll have a pretty stout base for making more power later but i hate to spend as much as i am and go back making the stock numbers. I dont think that 500-550 hp would be out of the question? The transmission is stock at the moment which is a bummer, i know it wont hold up to the numbers i just mentioned but my plan is while breaking in new motor to get the valve body taken care of first, maybe it will hold out long enough for me to replenish the supremely reduced bank account. I think an Airdog is dues as well, along with gauges... :nail:

A little more about the truck. It is a 07 5.9, currently at 130k miles, i've owned it for about 12k of those... 4x4, auto.

current mods are 4 in turbo back and a smarty (ran on level 3 always) and a drop in K&n filter. I'm sure im leaving out some info but any help is appreciated.

I'd dish out the extra dough for a good aftermarket pump. Dual fuelers would be a better option as they are more reliable.

with the arson kit i can use those part towards their upgraded pumps later, and at 450 bucks its a lot lighter on the billfold.I mean if i have to get a new pump then so be it i'm just weighing out the millions of options i have. i think dual pumps on that single turbo might be a little much.

did you go back together with 12/24v forged rods or just leave the stock CR rods in?

with the arson kit i can use those part towards their upgraded pumps later, and at 450 bucks its a lot lighter on the billfold.I mean if i have to get a new pump then so be it i'm just weighing out the millions of options i have. i think dual pumps on that single turbo might be a little much.

all i know is most of the guys i've heard from that did the "bag o parts" or the arson kit reported gains that didnt not seem to make the whole process and $$$ worth it. coming from a dmax we can tune rail pressure down with efi live so we can run dual pumps just the same as a smaller modded pump on a single turbo. not sure what cummins can do about tuning duals....so dis regard my posts hahaha

did you go back together with 12/24v forged rods or just leave the stock CR rods in?

at first i wanted to use forged parts but decided that wasnt the best idea, I went with a coated mahle parts, stock crank. im not positive of the strength vs the stock rods??

all i know is most of the guys i've heard from that did the "bag o parts" or the arson kit reported gains that didnt not seem to make the whole process and $$$ worth it. coming from a dmax we can tune rail pressure down with efi live so we can run dual pumps just the same as a smaller modded pump on a single turbo. not sure what cummins can do about tuning duals....so dis regard my posts hahaha

Im sure its not the best product in the world, the only reason i was really interested was 1. the price 2. the fact that i can send my CP3 to diesel motorsports and uprade the pump later minus the cost of said "arson 3" 3. It will produce somewhat better flow/pressure than stock, how much? i dont know, but if im running 100 hp injectors and a little bigger turbo then i most assuradley need something!

you will definatly need somethin. you can go with the bag of parts and see how it goes. i have no real first hand experiences with modding stock pumps, i have just heard numerous horror stories about them not doing jack ****

Back