New to VE trucks and looking for some tuning info/ideas

D-LUX

Just another white guy
Picked up a 90 2wd dodge 5 speed over the weekend as a donor for dad's 48 chevy 2 ton

After driving it around a little today we're already looking for some more power before it gets put in the chevy

Plan was for a Denny T stage 1 pin, a 3200 gsk, and the old hx35 off of my 01...

We're probably going to keep it non I/c as well just for packaging issues as the engine compartment is pretty tight

Anyone running a similar set up? Any egt issues with a setup like this?

/i\

Oldie but still a goodie....

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm

Also try backing off the high idle screw all the way and adjusting the throttle for as much travel as possible. Should be able to get an extra 300-500rpm like that without ever going into the pump. Be careful of runaway when you adjust the full power screw. With more timing, bumped fuel, and intake and exhaust, it should be in the 300rwhp range.

300 would be more than plenty to move that 48 chevy around.

I'm actually looking forward to messing with the old 12v, gets boring messing with electronics on the newer trucks

/i\

I know it's a slippery slope but the truck it's going in is fairly light at just under 5000lbs

Were going to use it to pull around the BBQ pits, car show cruises, and be an all around fun old truck

/i\

W/M also works well since VE's are fuel limited....usually picks up 50hp or more.

Lift pump before you do any fuel upgrades.

Sounds like a fun project. Any pictures?

Next time I'm at the shop I'll grab a few. Put a Denny stage 1 pin in it last weekend and found out someone ground the crap out of the stock pin although it was still indexed to run on the stock ramp....someone didn't know what they were doing

Truck feels stronger now but still runs out of rpm quickly so were thinking the stock gov spring is still in it. Going to pull the pump to do seals and put the 3200 gov spring in it this weekend.

Last edited: