new truck(97 3500) towing help!! bucking problem!

dodgemaniac

okay so i just bought the truck in my sig. a couple of weeks ago and its mainly set up for pulling. the other day i tried pulling my flatbed empty and couldnt keep the truck from bucking. it would be fine under no acceleration or under heavy acceleration but when i try to keep a constant speed it will just start bucking and wont stop until i let off. i don't think it is turbo surge because i cant hear it doing that.

Also the truck does not have factory overloads on it and currently has 8 ft. long traction bars on.

any help appreciated. i need to be able to tow with this truck without breaking something everytime. thanks

My truck does the same in lower rpms. I think it caused by not being in the power band. Not a big enough concern for me though. I can usually jus let off and lean in to it agian to correct the problem. I would doubt that is you suspension as my truck has done it since day one and now has air-ride in the rear and the problem still exist

The problem for me isn't there for me in the lower rpm's but above 2000 when its in the power

shot in the dark here

but you might wanna check the throttle return springs on the truck, if one or more is missing, that can cause the buck..

I wound up just using a slightly stiffer spring i found in my dads toolbox to solve the problem

IIRC there was a recall on these..

Rick

is it a pintle hitch set up, is the trailer leveled to the truck, try putting a little weight at the front of the trailer, i hate those bucking problems

Last edited:
i had the same prob i put heavier throttle springs ...airbags and am putting traction bars its a pain in the ass the airbags helped the most its your leaf springs being old a worn

could be the tranny unlocking and locking(cant decide what to do) the convertor, or thinking about downshifting but then changes its mind on you making a shudder. Ive had these problems at lower rpms with my dodge 47re tranny and with my old 97 chevy auto. both were the od selenoid jumpin in and out.

Air bags and traction bars did it for me but it was happening in my case at the lower RPM's, during take off from stop with a heavy load. Not sure about at higher RPM's the front end is shaking is it, like the ole death wobble?

BBD

Its either going to be throttle return spring related, or governor spring related.

My 97 used to do that when it was still a daily driver, first try adding a spring to the throttle return assembly. Then if that doesn't work its in the gov spring set up. Do you know who's springs are in the pump? 3k 4k 5k????