new VP-44 install problem...

"I just put in a new VP44 and put everything back right, and now its not starting. It is getting fuel so i checked for codes and got

P 0122 throtle posistioning sensor volts to low
P 0123 " " high
P 1693 DTC Detected In ECM Or PCM, and is says soething about companion mode ?

Please P.M. if you could help, I need my truck for work

thanks, Dayton"

This is a post my best friend just put on another forum, and thought you guys would be able to help. I wasn't there for the install as I am out of town but if you guys could give some input it would be highly appreciated!

info

need a lil more info

Are you sure the timing is set right.
Is the harness on the side of the pump plugged in.
have you tried bleeding the system and breaking the 1st and last injector lines loose.
Shane

What do you mean timing set right? He told me he is 100% positive the pump lined up into the keyway correctly and the gear is on all the way.

pump

when you pull the gear off the pump shaft the engine has to be at TDC(top dead center). It will bring the keyway straight up and if not the pump will not be in time with the engine.

Has he checked the throttle position sensor

It doesnt have to b at TDC just make sure when you pulled the old pump out you line it up with the new one and even mark the end of the shaft with a red marker to make it easy to c then use a mirror and double check . Theres a shop here and they put on quit a few pumps in a month and I'v never seen them take it to TDC

I'm kinda having the same prob , after installing my pump after some work done , it started fine drove down the road and on the way back it died and hasnt started yet and I'm getting the 0122 and tried 2 TPS sensors and stilll have the code and no start . I'm switching out the ECM monday

Last edited:
pump

You can get away with just marking the gear position if you have done several of these but if this is not something you do all the time the best way to do it is take it to tdc. If the gear moves and you dont get it back in the same location it wont start. Once the pump shaft is removed from the gear the gear is left connected to the puller through the timing cover and it is very easy to get it wrong if your not familliar with it.

Last edited:
The gear can only move very little its still riding in the teeth of the cam gear the thing that get people the most is they turn the shaft on the pump and get it out , LOL i have done that twice and its very easy to do ESP getting it back in nothing like pulling one out and see a key half gone , now the first one i did yeah i sheared it off completly and it would not start at all , guy said pull the pump sure enough what was left was flat LOL

Last edited:
Helping

I am very familliar with how it works I do it often .
The person that asked for the help however may not be as familliar with it as you and I that is why I used the easy way of doing things.
We are suposed to be helping this guy not arguing who knows more about changing VP44's.
You can take it from here

Hey quit getting the 0122 and 0123 codes but is still getting the other one. He put the keyway at 12 o'clock when he pulled the old pump and then put the new pump in. To get this thing fixed for sure is he going to have to pull the motor to #1 TDC get the gear to 12 o'clock by some means and then reinstall everything?

If you lined up the keyway and you didn't lose the key that was in the pump then the pump is timed fine. The VP's electronics set the timing on it. Last time I changed mine I'm 99% sure that you can't put the pump in without lining up the key. It won't fit.

As far as the 1693 code goes it's usually not a big deal. You could get a scanner and try and dig deeper but I'm pretty sure that all your gonna get is 1693. If he has any mods done to the truck then that code is always gonna be there.

The million dollar question

Do you know for sure the timing marks on the cam gear and the pump gear were lined up when the new pump was installed.
If you do not know for sure pull the front cover and make sure the marks are lined up on the gears at TDC then you will know that the basics are covered and you can move on from there. If you are sure then skip this step.
Just trying to help

The only way the cam and pump gear would get off line was if someone took the front cover off and moved it or something broke inside. I'm really thinking that it's not timing related. I'm kinda leaning toward a bad pump.

Well he text me this morning and said he got it running yesterday evening, him and his dad pulled it all back apart and reinstalled everything (the same way as before) and they got he truck started after a lot of priming to the inector lines. Turns out he *forgot* to crack any of the lines the other night and he was trying to get it started by himself. Thanks everyone for the help, it was simply him being impatient and not waiting for anyone to help prime the lines.

K.I.S.S. Check (and recheck) the simple stuff, it will bite you in the arse if you don't.

Glad he got it going :rockwoot: