No 4 Wheel Drive

Lifted94XLT

The other day, I put my truck into 4wd to tow my trailer out of the back of my buddies shop so I wouldn't spin the tires. Well, the t-case would shift into 4wd, but the front end wouldn't engage unless I got out and locked in the hubs manually...... I highly doubt that I've grenaded both my hubs at the same time.... they've NEVER made any noise or anything. Normally, I'd be content with just gettin out and manually lockin in the hubs whenever I need 4wd, but would like to keep the auto hubs working for those times when I ricer needs to be schooled if you know what I mean :kick: Now, I know that theres a seals inside the hubs, and if they go bad it won't seal the vacuum in to engage the auto hubs. what's the best way to check those??? if its not the seals, then the only other thing I can think of would be the Vacuum actuator on the front axle..... anyway to test that??? thanks for your time and help.

--Ryan

First...check the vacuum lines....they go from the wheel hub/unit bearing to the engine bay.

Most common is for the vacuum line that comes from the top of the frame (by the front shocks) to the wheel hub to either become disconnected or crack. It's just barbed fittings at the frame and at the hub.

From the frame up is all hard line.

Yeah, it's common.
I had a guy with a 6" lift who stopped by to BS...as I was looking at his setup I noticed one of his vacuum lines was off. He said he was wondering why he slid all over the last time he *thought* he was in 4x4 LOL

Back