No Boost? Turbo spools up, but no power

Kaiyin

Sierra 118
alright, new guy here and yall probably hate the newb questions, but I searched and couldn't find a whole lot to help me out. I've been browsing for some time, since I picked up my truck a few weeks ago and have gathered a lot of good info.

Onto my problem. I just bought an 03 F250 SD with the 6.0 in it. It's got 83k on it. I was driving it to work today and got on the highway to accelerate and heard the turbo spool up, louder than normal, and just making a lot of noise but not accelerating any. It feels like a boost leak, but the truck is stock. I got to the shop where I go to and I looked under the hood and didn't find any blown pipes or loose connections. Also, with the truck on and idling, I can't hear the tell-tale hiss of a boost leak (I've been around turbo cars for some time). The truck still runs fine, just has no power. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Check the back side of the boot that connects the turbo to the hot side CAC pipe...they LOVE to bust back there out of sight.

Check the back side of the boot that connects the turbo to the hot side CAC pipe...they LOVE to bust back there out of sight.
is that the rubber boot right off the turbo going towards the IC? I was just reading about those. Hopefully that's what it is.

boost leak 100% positive. the turbo spools faster cause there is no resistance of pushing the air. keep the engine off and make a pvc cab to fit the air filter tube and pressurize the system watch it cause your compressor is 100-110psi. make sure you have a shut off valve. ask scottsjeeprolet he has made one and has pics of it. works great for checking for boost leaks

boost leak 100% positive. the turbo spools faster cause there is no resistance of pushing the air. keep the engine off and make a pvc cab to fit the air filter tube and pressurize the system watch it cause your compressor is 100-110psi. make sure you have a shut off valve. ask scottsjeeprolet he has made one and has pics of it. works great for checking for boost leaks

Or use the lazy man's method...put a buddy in the driver seat and have him brake spool it while you feel around the boots for leaks....works like a charm....just don't stick your hands anywhere stupid. LOL

yeah but even doing that sometimes you can't hear the leak over the engine with the engine off you can really hear where the leak is. i had this problem once couldn't build boost. could hear a weird whistle but couldn't find the leak. borrowed the tester and found i had left 2 bolts loose and it was leaking there.

thanks for the input guys. I went and checked the boot from the turbo to the hot-pipe and it was tight and secure. Turned the truck on, and felt around and couldn't feel any air leaking out. Checked the intake pipe too, as well as the cold-side, and couldn't feel any cracks or any air leaking out.

Weird thing is, I let the truck sit for a few hours, then went and drove it and it seemed normal. The turbo spools normally and is not overly loud like it was before. I don't know. I'm bringing it in to the dealer in the morning because they want to look at it and they aren't charging me anything because I just bought the truck.

I know for certain though that I will be fixing that rubber boot, and replacing that whole hot-side pipe with an aluminum pipe. Also, is the factory cold-side pipe (IC to intake mani) milled steel? Mine is.

Both pipes are stainless. If its never been updated to the newest flash revision and it has an intermittant problem with the exhaust pressure sensor, it will do what you are describing.

Both pipes are stainless. If its never been updated to the newest flash revision and it has an intermittant problem with the exhaust pressure sensor, it will do what you are describing.
would Ford be the one to flash it? I'm taking it in this morning (leaving in about 10min) to have them check it out.

took it in, drive to the dealer was fine, wasn't acting up. They couldn't find anything wrong with the truck either. Drove it back home, it was fine, till I was right down the street from my house when it started doing the same things I described in the first post again.

PSDPlayer, I mentioned what you said to the tech guy and they said that the truck was flashed when it came through for the inspection when they took the truck in.

I would recommend grabbing the updated oil feed tube and pull out the VGT sensor to see if there is any little pieces of black rubber in it.

found out that the turbo might be sticking. This time, a tech rode with me and that's what he said it sounds like. It also only seems to happen after the truck has been driven for a bit and warms up.

If the tech will ride with you. Go into active command and move the duty cycle from 15% to 85% and listen to the changes.

Go even simpler... how cold is it? I noticed my truck running a little odd when it was 4 degrees out, and I still have a half tank of summer fuel... the longer I ran the worse it got... I'm surmising that the fuel is starting to wax up in the filter(s) and not allowing it to flow.

My truck lives in the barn, out of the direct weather, but not the cold. Hadn't been run in several weeks. Ran great initially, but the longer it ran, the more odd it became. Got to the point where about 1700 rpm was all it would do. So I limped home and parked it. (this is about an hour's worth of run time) Had heat, but all the fuel lines were ice cold under the hood.

I was really concerned about wiping out some injectors, so I was very careful once I realized what was going on. Haven't played with it since, and it's been about a week. It's due for a fluid change and filters too, so I'll take it apart and document what I find. I am half suspecting to find nothing in the HFCM though, since it will hopefully be a little warmer when I climb under it to do the work.

It's a thought anyway... MN can be a tad nippy this time of year...

Go even simpler... how cold is it? I noticed my truck running a little odd when it was 4 degrees out, and I still have a half tank of summer fuel... the longer I ran the worse it got... I'm surmising that the fuel is starting to wax up in the filter(s) and not allowing it to flow.

My truck lives in the barn, out of the direct weather, but not the cold. Hadn't been run in several weeks. Ran great initially, but the longer it ran, the more odd it became. Got to the point where about 1700 rpm was all it would do. So I limped home and parked it. (this is about an hour's worth of run time) Had heat, but all the fuel lines were ice cold under the hood.

I was really concerned about wiping out some injectors, so I was very careful once I realized what was going on. Haven't played with it since, and it's been about a week. It's due for a fluid change and filters too, so I'll take it apart and document what I find. I am half suspecting to find nothing in the HFCM though, since it will hopefully be a little warmer when I climb under it to do the work.

It's a thought anyway... MN can be a tad nippy this time of year...
could be. It has been in the single-digits as of late, dipping into the -teens at night, and my truck sits outside in my driveway plugged in. It hasn't acted up since monday though so I dunno.

Back