No need for cam sensor in 98.5-2000?

1BADRAM

Diesel Enthusiast
Just wanted people to know that I beileve that you don't need the cam sensor for the p-pump 24V in the years 98.5-2000. My truck is a 99' and I did the cam sensor in the back of the timing cover where the timing pin goes. Everything works on my truck, so I got curious the other day and unplugged it and everything still works. Just wanted to share it with everyone.

You have CEL on because of it?

Anyone have a pic of a cam gear from an 01-02? I'd be curious what the diameter of the tone ring is. I posted on another thread about the cam gear out of a 2k engine that I tore apart, that has what looks like a 12v style cam gear, where it only has a hole in it for what looks like a timing pin. Could be an upside for us 98-00 trucks, could put a timing in in it instead of making a marker for the damper.

TATE...Your check engine light will already be on because of the VP-44 not being plugged in.

My buddy didnt add the cam sensor to his and everything works cause the sensors on the 98.5/00 are near the crank I was told . I never realy looked into it but I wondered y

Yea the early VP trucks the tach will work without the cam sensor. I think the 01/02 don't have the crank sensor, so they will require the adapter.

Yea the early VP trucks the tach will work without the cam sensor. I think the 01/02 don't have the crank sensor, so they will require the adapter.

Dan, thqat is correct. My 02 has a CAM sensor, but doesn't have the CRANK sensor. Just a tone ring on the back of the cam gear.

Yeah the 98.5-2000 have both sensors and the 01-02 engines just have the Cam sensor so the adapter is a must for them. But not required on the 98.5-2000.

We are in the process of finishing up a P-pumped 99 with an 01 engine in it due to a bad 53 block....

Having issues getting it to charge and of course the tach does NOT work..

Tried putting in a 01 ECM and still no good

Any ideas???

Did you put a cam sensor in with the 01 computer? 01/02 cam sensors are different and they need the offset adapter

We are in the process of finishing up a P-pumped 99 with an 01 engine in it due to a bad 53 block....

Any ideas???

Did you put a cam sensor in with the 01 computer? 01/02 cam sensors are different and they need the offset adapter

yup, we used the '01 cam sensor too.... still no go

Any ideas???

Prob should of used the 99 Crank with the tone ring on it. I believe the 99 trucks and ECM would be looking for a signal from the crank sensor.

Are you guys using the adapter that bolts on with no griding? The one that bolts in with no griding will not work on 01/02.