No rev's+no smoke=no power?!

farmboy3510

Last night I pulled my truck after p-pumping it and I was very disappointed and embarrassed all at the same time. The truck will not free rev above 2700 for one, anything above an idle it puts out enough white smoke to kill any bug in 10 mi. radius, but no black smoke at any time. When I started the truck for the first time it would not idle, so we kept turning the screw to bring it up to 900rpm. I don't understand why it would be so far off. The pump came off of a running motor. When I put the pump in I put 50cc over stock dv's in from Haisleys and a torque plate from them also b/c my pump did not have one at all. The plate is slid all the way forward and the star wheel is all the way toward the grill. The trucks that I would normally beat with my junk HO Vp44 pump are stomping a mud hole in my a**. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Timing is off

idlesmoke.jpg

Look like this? This is when I put my p-pump motor back to gether and accedently set the timing at 2* instead of 22*.

You sure your timing is right?? Thats what it sounds like to me. I'd recheck that first!

Sounds like timming and also how much fuel pres you have?

My exhaust looks exactly like Bosshawg600's picture. As far as fuel pressure I do not know. The pump says that it will be between 45 and 90 depending on what size of line. I am running a 3/8" line right to the pump. When I timed the pump off of the truck I put the indicator on the first hole and took it to dbc and set my indicator to 0 and then I raised the indicator 5.3mm, witch should have been 18*. I think that some how the gear slipped or I didn't have the motor on tdc or I just plain did it wrong. I see a key way on the pump shaft but my gear did not have a key in it should there be? Thanks for the responce and ideas, keep them coming. I off to the shop to get it all tore back apart and see what I got wrong.

what pump are you using? I would check the timming and you will want to stay around 22 or less with ddp injectors.

Sounds like the timing is way low. Use the drop plunger method to time the pump.

The pump came off of a 98 auto. 180hp pump. Also when I do rev the motor when you get to about 1500rpm it seems to want to run real choppy it is not smooth at all after that.

The pump came off of a 98 auto. 180hp pump. Also when I do rev the motor when you get to about 1500rpm it seems to want to run real choppy it is not smooth at all after that.

When I had DDP 150's in, it would do that too, but only when cold. Once warmed up it ran fine. Obviously, thats not happening for you though. When I replaced my injectors, you could tell by the copper sealing washer it was leaking, which I think is where my issue was coming from. Cold start with the 150's looked like starting a pro pulling engine. These DDP comps start like a stock truck.

Otherwise, I'd agree with everyone else, verify your TDC and then recheck your timing. You are turning the engine in the right direction, right? Verify the numbers on the pump, you could have always gotten an oddball pump, or one from a different dodge app.

first off it sounds like you have stock governor springs in it, meaning you wont get much about 2700, you will be on the governor at that point and it limits your fuel.

secondly id say your timing is off a good bit. adjust the timing, then put some 4k gsk's in it and report back.

I adjusted the timing last night and the truck seems to run a lot better. It free revs up to 3k and a lot more responsive. It seems to start a little hard thou. I don't know if the copper rings on the injectors are leaking like Tate said it is or something else. If I would change the governor springs to 4k I do not have heavier valve springs. Would that be a problem? Or don't worry about it.

Mine has been to 3700 on stock springs on the dyno. Had the head off and no valve-piston contact at all. I wouldn't make a habit of going past 4k on stock springs, but it should be alright every once in a while.

Back