no steering or brakes..now they work?

JMachemer

my truck did not have steering or brakes. I noticed fluid on the front axle and driveway - looks like it came from hydro pump / power steering fluid res. My brake and steering fluids were normal. My truck sits for weeks at a time due to having a commuter car.
I had the truck towed to my buddies father's shop. He claimed he started the truck and drove it around with no problems. He will check on it more tomarrow. Any ideas of what could be wrong?
When i attempted to drive the truck i let it warm up, pumped the brakes, tried to turn the steering wheel and I got nothing - i did this a few times over the course of 2 days......could the jarring around on the roll-back done something to hide the problem?

possible air pocket in the system. i know when my p/s fluid gets low and it starts making noise and i top it off, every now and then it will do as you describe. as long ask i dont let it get that low i never have a problem.

Put some power steering additive in it. That tends to help whining and cold weather problems as you described

chevycummins, do u also have brake problems with that? or just power steering issues with low fluid?

didnt try driving but as jeremy said you could have issues with both. since they both are operated by the p/s pump. i only noticed the steering as i couldnt turn the wheel without forcing it really hard like an old grain truck

my fluid levels were good. i guess i will have to wait to talk to the mech. tomarrow and see what he thinks. There is a definate leak of something....a fluid that travels easy (like brake/or steering). And the jarring of the tow ride "fixed" the problem for now.
any takers on what they think is the problem?

When mine was low the power steering pump would whine and steer very hard and when you stepped on the brakes they would erk and you could feel the whine in the pedal. Put the conditioner in it and filled it back up and all the issues went away.

How much leaked out and can you tell where it is coming from? If you can get a new line; if not just put fluid with conditioner and stop leak in it and hope that plugs the leak. If there was a ton of fluid that came out this will probably not fix it.

prolly just got low and sucked up air. First cold day mine did that and it puked a quart of fluid out. let it sit and filled it drove it for a while, let it sit and rechecked it, all ok now