No Steering!

kc8yhk

disgruntled
So last year we had an issue where my wife (arcflashlynn) was going down the track and lost her steering. Turned out the drag link adjuster sleeve had broken. We installed a new sleeve and street drove the truck, all was good. Took the truck out to the track and on the first pass it broke again. This part only breaks at the end of the track after she lifts off the accelerator. After reviewing a video I had taken I noticed that the passenger side front wheel was hopping when she would lift off the accelerator at the end of the track. I pulled the passenger side shock out and it was blown, put a new shock in and we ran all season with no issues at all with the fastest pass being 11.5 seconds.

Over the winter I had the engine pulled out to do some upgrades like billet rods, steel pistons, ect. Yesterday we decided to hit a test and tune to make some easy passes to break the engine in, and make sure everything was a "GO" before we installed the cage.

Everything was going well until the 3rd pass, again she lost her steering. The passenger side wheel well was covered in oil this time from the blown shock. I COULD just throw a new shock in and run it but I refuse to send her down the track anymore until I can figure out what is causing this issue. Replace the shock and it runs down the track fine then BOOM with no warning it just lets go.

If anyone could help point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. This last time caused us to trash all 4 drag radials (flat spots).

The truck is a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 long bed reg cab 4x4. The front suspension is stock, rear suspension has the overload springs and a block removed, running caltracs. We did get an alignment done last year.

Here is a video from yesterday [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJq04-fPAe8"]Lynn at Dragway42 - YouTube[/ame]

adjustersleeve.jpg

flatspot.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that coulda been bad! Glad she's ok. Sorry about the tires. You could do a crossover steering with heims. Doesn't get much more solid then that.

Yes, I can help! Quit putting that stock sleeve on there before you kill your wife! Heim joints on chromoly tubing.

There is a 4x4 company what makes a solid Hex sleeve with 2 jam nuts. Ill see if i can dig it up. Only 75 bucks if i recall.

Man, I'm glad this didn't end up any worse, that looks like a scary ride. I would have the front axle checked out. Seems like something is jarring the steering hard when letting out. I don't think the broken part is the issue at all.

Wow, you have one tuff wife man! I would have s**t my pants if that where me. Glad everyone's ok.

I have been thinking about getting a steering box brace and installing one of these kits [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Steering-Linkage-Upgrade-Fixes-Death-Mopar/dp/B0046NUOLM"]Amazon.com: 03-08 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 Steering Linkage Upgrade Fixes-Death Wobble Oem Mopar: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41p%2B1h%2BXRGL.@@AMEPARAM@@41p%2B1h%2BXRGL[/ame]

The truck will not see the track again until this problem has been figured out. Does it look like 100+ mph death wobble to you guys? causing the passenger side shock to blow out and the adjuster sleeve to snap?

The steering is failing because of another issue. I don't know why some of you guys are trying to sell him a different steering setup instead of going after the problem.

I'm be interested to hear some people's thoughts though. I can't think of anything at the moment.

Have you checked the axle shaft u joint? It may be tight like it's OK. But it's common for them to seize up and feel fine when they're toast.

The steering is failing because of another issue. I don't know why some of you guys are trying to sell him a different steering setup instead of going after the problem.

I'm be interested to hear some people's thoughts though. I can't think of anything at the moment.

Thank you.
My suspicion is she's getting death wobble at 115mph and at that speed it's so violent that it breaks the weak link(drag link adjuster).
I suggested replacing every steering joint with upgraded parts and put a steering brace in. Im positive its death wobble due to it happening after she lifts at the end of the track.

I replaced them a couple years ago, I haven't checked them since. The truck is still currently on the trailer, I installed another stock sleeve on it just so I could have steering to get it off the trailer and in the garage easily. I'll pull the axle shafts out and change them regarless. I plan on changing every single part in the front end.

The one side is what made me suggest the u joint. My u joint caused death wobble so bad in my old Jeep (same front end setup) that it caused the cars next to me to hit the brakes and dive off the road. That was just at 40 MPH. I replaced everything on that front end, some parts a few times. Then a hunch at the 4th or 5th shop suggested the 25 dollar part.

Last edited:
My 07 had death wobble so bad, I was about to burn it. I replaced every part on it twice and still had it. After inspecting everything we found the end of the track bar where it mounts to the axle, the bolt hole was elongated. We welded a thicker plate to it and drilled a new hole. The truck drives like a dream now.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. We thought we had this all fixed last year- it really put a damper on our spirits this year again. It almost looks like I'm a good driver in that video. haha

When you had it aligned did they check the caster? A lot of shops don't and even tho the front is stock when you lowered the back you rolled the caster back. I'm with everyone else on the high speed wobble and I think the caster is the root of the evil. When I lowered my wife's the caster was 9* out.

Sent with a Droid RAZR in one hand and 14,000 volts in the other.

When you had it aligned did they check the caster? A lot of shops don't and even tho the front is stock when you lowered the back you rolled the caster back. I'm with everyone else on the high speed wobble and I think the caster is the root of the evil. When I lowered my wife's the caster was 9* out.

Sent with a Droid RAZR in one hand and 14,000 volts in the other.

That I am not sure of, We are friends with the owner of the shop that did the alignment for us. He knows that we race the truck but may not be aware that we lowered the rear end any. We are going to get the upgraded parts in the front end as soon as we can then take it in for another alignment. I'm glad you mentioned it! I will make sure to ask him to check the caster

no prob, I doubt he even checked it since the frontend wasn't messed with. probably just did toe in and called it good. I've seen caster cause wobble more then once when installing lifts.

Caster usually caused a vibration at a certain speed for me. But you're right, it's rarely checked and can certainly cause issues. Too easy and cheap not to at least have it looked at.