Normal tapped HRVP?

Ranchmgr

Truck is an 02, built auto, 250hp inj, HRVP, Hamilton cam, edge CTS JWA along with air and other supporting mods. Recently had it in the shop for some tranny issues and had them go ahead and tap the pump. The truck had a heavy lope after driving it home. Didnt do it for the guys at the shop but they only test drove a short distance. I've adjusted all the low boost fueling up and down and run the edge on 0 and it does not make a difference. I know with the fuel mods this truck has it is prone to lope. Just not sure why it started now. Didn't think the edge was effecting anything on 0??

Here's a vid of it.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VrXbr7JqFNs"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VrXbr7JqFNs[/ame]

Anything to worry about?

Last edited:
edge at 0 and edge unplugged are 2 diffrent things. unplug any fuel boxes and taps.

could crossover tubes be a culprit?

It did have a slight lope in park but not near as bad as in drive. It also did not do it this morning when cold. Have not driven today yet to see how long before it will start again.

edge at 0 and edge unplugged are 2 diffrent things. unplug any fuel boxes and taps.

could crossover tubes be a culprit?

Thanks. Did not know if edge on 0 was the same as it not being there or not. Not sure on the tubes. I made the mistake of buying a built truck from a guy who didn't build it. Not 100% on all the mods.

Last edited:
the trans issues arent making it lope are they? my low stall conv makes it lope too with the hrvp.
i dont have that fancy edge thingy but i have a comp..on/off matters none..

whatever the trans shop did to the trans il bet has something to do with it..

i hated the lope..connector tubes and inj took alotta doing to make it still run good and not smoke or lope

The tranny problem ended up being the BD top speed eliminator screwing with the tranny. Was going into limp mode. They replaced it with a new one and it is on a toggle switch that can turn it on/off. On or off the tranny is back to shifting great. Only other work done was tapping the pump and installing a ground isolator since the truck only has 1 batt.

I made the mistake of buying a built truck from a guy who didn't build it. Not 100% on all the mods.

Im in the exact same boat. Mine also lopes a bit with a hrvp. I'm just going to deal with it until I ppump this summer. :rockwoot:

Been kicking the idea around of splicing in an in cab toggle switch in my pump tap wire. When I want to crank the edge up, flip the switch. Any reason it wouldn't work?

I would think that when you are on levels where pump tapping is being called for, you would be sending a signal into nothing. The MOSFETS that drive the pump will not like that.
Just my thinking.... Change the levels with the controls. It's what they are there for.

Ed

Problem is that Hot Rod pumps already have timing added to the pump and the Edge is adding more timing on top of timing. This is why is best to build from a stock SO pump than a HR pump. Then on top of it the colder the intake air gets the more timing thee ECM gives the pump. So eventually the timing is way out.

Trick to try unplug the IAT sensor and stuff a 2.2k ohm resistor in the plug and then take a test drive. If the problem goes away then its timing related.

A few of my friend also have the same issue with the hrvp they just learned to live with it

change to a smaller inj and the issue will go away...i beat this to deat..once i changed to a vco type tip it was night and day

I dont think smaller injectors have anything to do with it. The Larger I went, my lope went away... I the pop pressure makes the difference. A higher pop helped mine the most. I doubt it has anything to do with timing with the juice or anything else honestly.

vco vs sac..lotta reading on here bout that..search my posts...inj /conn tube combination fixed mine. took alotta swapping. also the tightness of the converter made mine worse

I would think all pumps are probably different... but tubes never affected mine. just injectors and everytime I popped them, they were low (>270bar). Weston built me 2 sets of 300-305 and they idled great and were larger than the old ones. My convertor is decently loose, although manual trans ecm programming doesn't help my situation.

well weston is the man. he worked me thru mine and after i installed a set of his vco inj it was night and day. the sac loped so bad i couldnt drive it. not much diff in power and def helped the egt issue and the driveability went way up.

my pump is a hrvp frpm ind inj. lotta miles on it too. works well either with or w/o the drag comp and it does make quite a bit of diff..so much actually that i cant drive around with it on 5x5. i use it more towing now on 2x5 when im towing really heavy..like on the scales 25k heavy.
for me man it was all in the inj. the conn tubes oversized or hollowed out made it drive so bad the power stering would go out in the turns when it chugged down. easy fix there but the inj took some messing..probly 6 diff sets.