not starting fuel issues?

mckeddie

my truck is a 99 6 speed f350 4x4

Ok, last week my fuel pump died, replaced my fuel pump over the weekend with an airtec from advanced (only place open, and i needed my truck), and now im getting what I believe to be a fuel pressure problem? if i try to start the truck, it just cranks, but if i remove and reinstall the fuel filter lid, the truck would fire right up. i had to do this everytime i started it. if i didn't crack the lid, it would just crank till the batteries died.

last night i removed what i'm assuming ot be the fuel pressure regulator (the thing in the middle of the fuel bowl with the spring) and reinstalled it and the truck ran and drove great the rest of the night. now tonight i go to drive it, and its back to doing the same thing. i'm baffled

i've replaced the cps and the fuel filter a couple of times since too.

any ideas on what it could be? the old fuel pump didnt have polarity marked on it, so i just assumber red was positive and black was negative when i hooked it up, i'm guessing it wouldn't work if hooked up backwards anyways. the truck is getting fuel the whole time cranking, blowing all kinds of smoke while cranking.

thanks
greg

Oils full and fresh. Hoop is full. Don't have a fuel pressure gauge. Ill have to try to find one from someone.

i lied, its the fuel filter check valve i've removed, not the pressure regulator. got em mixed up in my head. going to check it tomorrow and see if it is sticking. going to also clean the return line and make sure it isn't plugged.

Back