Not to Impressed

cameronc

Ok been slowly working on my truck since I bought it in April. I tabbed the kdp, bumped timming to 19.5*, ground down stock plate to a 100 plate and is full foward, afc full forward, star wheel loosened up a few turns, just put some 215 injectors and a lock up switch.

Everything I've done has helped but still not happy. What am I missing? I've read a lot of post about gov. springs and a little comfused about what they do.. Ok know they allow you to fuel up to 3 or 4k but have been hearing that it helps bottom end fueling also. So I went to a local shop to buy some and they told me it does nothing for the bottom end and they wanted way to much for them so I walked away.

I want the truck to fuel harder on the bottom end and not defuel at 2200 is a 4k gsk going to do this for me?
Thanks

Thank you I hate posting rookie questions but have never got a straight answer and what through me off was a local shop that has been around for twenty years says its only for the top end. Thank you

dont know if it has the same effect, but if you put a 4gsk in there it will definetly pull and fuel harder. the stock springs arent really all that great for performance. i know i put in that 4gsk on my truck and it made a world of difference in how it drove.

id put the 4gsk in and take the plate out completly. then if you want more losen up the star wheel more and more till you like how the fuel comes on with the boost your pushin. there is a little pre boost adjustment you can mess with if you want to get your off the line fuel where you want it too.

I dynoed 246/635 with just a 0 plate, intake, and straight pipe. Put in my 3k and dyno'd 281/693. The truck was a completely different truck to drive too. Then I put the extra springs in to make it a 4k and running a non gated housing, my boost came up some so I know it added some fuel and it ran better again.

So, the 4k is most definately your next step. Dont do anything else until you do a 4k. At this point, if your 160 pump is like mine, you will have a sputter in the higher RPM and it will run out of fuel. Mine would sputter at 2800rpm under load and that was about all it would turn. So, I put a carter pusher pump on it and it cleared that up for the most part. An Air Dog would be ideal, but I am on a budget and the carter has been working great for a good while now and now the truck will pull 3500rpm under load which is plenty for a street truck really. It will free rev to about 4100rpm smooth though.

I tried everything to get rid of the sputter before i added the carter. Advanced the timing, dropped the tank & cleaned the filter, cleaned the filter on the fuel heater and removed the heating element, and installed a new stock lift pump and overflow valve.

Just trying to save you some of the headache that I went through trying to find my problem.

Eric

definately get 4k's, your truck will be a COMPLETELY different animal, the difference will be most obvious on the top end because you have your timing pretty high.

Like stated 4ks will wake that thing right up. You still on stock charger?

Ok been slowly working on my truck since I bought it in April. I tabbed the kdp, bumped timming to 19.5*, ground down stock plate to a 100 plate and is full foward, afc full forward, star wheel loosened up a few turns, just put some 215 injectors and a lock up switch.

Everything I've done has helped but still not happy. What am I missing? I've read a lot of post about gov. springs and a little comfused about what they do.. Ok know they allow you to fuel up to 3 or 4k but have been hearing that it helps bottom end fueling also. So I went to a local shop to buy some and they told me it does nothing for the bottom end and they wanted way to much for them so I walked away.

I want the truck to fuel harder on the bottom end and not defuel at 2200 is a 4k gsk going to do this for me?
Thanks

The reason you are not impressed is because you have no fuel, If you had taken the truck bone stock. built the tranny, then added 4k governor springs a 100 plate or 0 plate,timed it at 18* mack rack plug, and some 5x.014's you would be beating the snot out of various sports cars and other trucks around you until your turbo broke. I know I was but I had 175hp over stock injectors which are 5x.016's and they were a blast.

Good choice in walking away from that shop probably best choice you'll make. Be careful, there's a huge amount of incorrect information out there many of these so called "shops" use to operate on.

I'm with everyone else put a set of 4ks in it and enjoy your very different in a good way truck!

4k gov springs a little tuning and you will be impressed. ***note*** dont forget to install valve springs if you going above 3300 rpms. A little insurance goes along ways.

Good choice in walking away from that shop probably best choice you'll make. Be careful, there's a huge amount of incorrect information out there many of these so called "shops" use to operate on.

I'm with everyone else put a set of 4ks in it and enjoy your very different in a good way truck!

The shop wanted $225.00 for the springs and I asked if that was with the valve springs right...He said no. I really wanted to laugh but just walked away.

215 injectors arent really going to do much to be honest. a 3 or 4k wont be bad.. but i dont see the point in having a 4gsk unless your going to use that much rpm (my 3gsk puts me to 3500) either way valve springs are a good idea like others already mentioned. you have a little fuel not much but some.. bigger on the injector (even marine 370s if ur on a budget)and a proper calibratoin on the pump will get you there. However eventually the hx will be out of its efficiency range probably by then

just installed 4k springs and it really changed everything.. This should've been the first thing I did to the truck. Did a lot of reading on this and ended up installing the idle shim and initial click plus four. Thing idles nice and pulled great... Went for a test run but to much traffic only got to spin it to about 2500. Cant wait for tonight so i can get it on the road and hit some gears. Thanks for all your advice guys.