Not your every day Y pipe...

06TWO50Diesel

kinda goin somewhere fast
For a good while I was wondering why my truck had this HORRIBLE sound coming from the firewall/trans tunnel area. Took a few ears and eyes but we finally got down to it. It was the turbo Y pipe RIDING my firewall. Literally pushed through the firewall Reynolds wrap and up against the metal. Bulged out and completely killed by the heat BB exuded during it's 12.12 pass into the 11.86 pass.
Everyone said that this pipe was a tough fix and couldn't be done with the turbo in. Shoot, some people didn't believe I blew up the pipe. But BOTH things happened. Turbo didn't move a centimeter and the blown up pipe was removed. The secret- take your transmission out ;) Than the WHOLE world is in your hands when working on this truck.
Big thanks to Evan for jumping down the the dirty souf jerzy and giving me a hand in getting this pipe out. Wasn't as bad as we had expected, took about 2 hours of really relaxing and just casual wrenching. BIG thanks Ev!

the pics:
New vs. Old
Pipecomparison.jpg

Turbo side comparison:
Pipedifferenceturboside.jpg

New flex joint width:
Newpipeflex.jpg

Old flex joint width:
Oldpipewidth.jpg

Old flex with crack in it:
CrackinPipe.jpg

New pipe clearance:
Pipedistancetofirewall.jpg

If you look at the firewall, you can see the soot and burning where the pipe was riding on the truck. Pretty gnarly stuff!
and yes- did the heat shield delete mod for those wondering.

BB is that much closer to the track! till next mod, keep :rockwoot:

And you didn't see this when you took the transmission out the first time. And I believe I remember telling Evan on that phone call. You are either pulling the turbo or the transmission its your choice.

And you didn't see this when you took the transmission out the first time. And I believe I remember telling Evan on that phone call. You are either pulling the turbo or the transmission its your choice.
didn't see it the first time around, didn't think to look up. Just thought it was the converter that let loose. That sound DID go away, but there was still another looming.
evan doesn't relay everything you all say haha the trans was out already, so it was nice and convenient!

dangit fresh, we're still learning over here. give us some credit :hehe:

we all cant build a race truck like you. I will say though it was such a relief when the old pipe came out. I couldnt believe how much bigger the old one expanded out vs. the new one. either way we were able to get at it with the turbo still in and the trans out..for now on every mod will be done with the trans out. new intake...take the trans out!

I gave you credit for your 20 dollar dishwasher intake. That was the best thing I had seen in a while.

I'm surprised no one has made an aftermarket Y pipe for these trucks yet... the stock unit did look pretty restrictive.

Just looks like there's a good amount of room around it to use some large piping. Yes the Y pipe was in question, no heads aren't ported yet. Just a thought when I was looking at it while it was off

Mainly at the turbo connection, if it combined down behind the motor and than ran a solid pipe to the turbo, maybe that'd flow more air. I dunno- just throwing around ideas.

I'm surprised no one has made an aftermarket Y pipe for these trucks yet... the stock unit did look pretty restrictive.

The new pipes are just about done. A buddy and I have been working on these now for a while and they are into production now. They will be 304 stainless and will have no provision for an EGR. The two sections will be connected with a v band and the restrictive area at the turbo will be very nice. Let me know if anyone is interested

The new pipes are just about done. A buddy and I have been working on these now for a while and they are into production now. They will be 304 stainless and will have no provision for an EGR. The two sections will be connected with a v band and the restrictive area at the turbo will be very nice. Let me know if anyone is interested

Sure would be nice if you made some with the EGR V-band connection...it would be easy as hell to add a wastegate to a non-vgt turbo that isn't internally wastegated.:poke:

Sure would be nice if you made some with the EGR V-band connection...it would be easy as hell to add a wastegate to a non-vgt turbo that isn't internally wastegated.:poke:

Check with the guys over at Engineered Diesel. They have bad ass wastegates at the flange connector.

we can add a v band connection anywhere to put a gate on. we can even provide the gate. Right now we are talking about making a sneeky pipw where it looks like the egr is hooked up but it is not. Also I did forget to mention that the bellow that blew apart in the picture is not the style we used. They are a nice high pressure stainless bellow. One other thing that I dont like about stock uppipes is when the pipe transfers thru the bellow it is necked down and it is a real restriction. I tore a stock set apart and modified them and that is how I ended up looking to get new uppipes.

If you would like to ask any questions or need more info call Brian at 877-SPOOL UP

I was workin on a set up uppipes but I lost my my CFD software when i graduated from school... soo I'm trying to find a way to get it without needing the $10,000 Fee..I was also lookin at making some new exhaust manifolds

CFD Software? Help the acronymically challenged out here...

Where in western PA are you at? I'm in Butler...

Back