Not your every day Y pipe...

Alright I'll ask.....How much, how soon....would be nice to do while I am doing head studs, oh a pic would be nice too Thanks

I would worry about that ridiculous turbo adapter you have Nate before I would ever question the Y pipe being restrictive. Let's see that adapter at the turbo makes like 2-90* bends in less than 2 inches and disrupts the hell out of the flow.

Matt Does have a point. You have to shorten the exhaust outlet and lengthen the intake housing on that turbo.

CFD Software? Help the acronymically challenged out here...

Where in western PA are you at? I'm in Butler...

CFD = Computational Fluid Dynamics... basically I can design a set of up pipes(in some sort of 3d Modeling program) and then wedge them in this software and put flow through them. I set up the properties of the material and such as well as the fluid (exhaust gases which would be the byproducts of combustion) and I can set all sorts of parameters. Like Velocity, temp, pressures... Etc etc etc. more importantly I get exit values for all sorts of things as well as instantaous values for whatever I please. Thus, I can see if the design is what i'm looking for.It’s easy to do it on the computer... much harder to do it in the real world. The program I can model in is Pro Engineer/Wildfire 3... It’s an industry standard in mechanical design. I can take my 3d modeled piece and then have it automatically be put into a flat layout for DFA (design for assembly/manufacturing). There are places out there that can make the model in a rapid prototype and you can get a mold made from them(if you want cast) Outside of that you have a "life-sized" resin based 3D model for you to custom fab with. If i was getting paid full time and was kick ass with the software I could make the entire exhaust system and custom fit turbos to it and get boost values, CFM's and any other sort of useful data. That would also depending upon what useful data I could get from turbo manuf's which none of them are going to do. you would need there drawings for castings and such and thats not going anywhere.

Its pretty accurate depending upon a number of things. Mostly its useful for looking at on section of a big picture. You can do what I just said but you better have months to design and know the software inside and out. Being I no longer work in that arena i dont have enough time anymore.

I'm in Beaver County... on the border between Economy and Cranberry

Last edited:
The new pipes are just about done. A buddy and I have been working on these now for a while and they are into production now. They will be 304 stainless and will have no provision for an EGR. The two sections will be connected with a v band and the restrictive area at the turbo will be very nice. Let me know if anyone is interested

im also interested

And just how much does it neck down?

Pipes make a huge improvement on spool egts and drive pressure. The math on just one of those oem bellows works out to be the equivalent of adding nearly 10 lineal feet of strait pipe that the exh must flow through before it gets to the horrible Y joint.

Pipes make a huge improvement on spool egts and drive pressure. The math on just one of those oem bellows works out to be the equivalent of adding nearly 10 lineal feet of strait pipe that the exh must flow through before it gets to the horrible Y joint.

You do realize that the bellows surrounds a pipe that slides in and out for the flexing right? The internal diameter doesn't drop too much.

You do realize that the bellows surrounds a pipe that slides in and out for the flexing right? The internal diameter doesn't drop too much.

I would say off the top of my head it is almost a half inch so on a two inch pipe to drop to inch and a half is substantial to me. I cut all that out of my firs set I built and I used the bellows that will be in the new pipes and they are holding well with my setup. I blew up the stock set just like the picture so that is when the idea came about.

ID of the pipe is 1.85inches. ID of the inside of the slip pipe is 1.62inches. The two pipes coming together through the flange at the turbo is worse than that.

:hehe:

I have one of those in my shop right now.. Big injectors and rules that dont allow you to run water... Mine is wadded up at the Y even more.. :bang

I am actually putting on a EGR kit on in the next couple of weeks and my Y pipe is cracked, i planned on replacing it with a stock one but if the aftermarket one is done i would love to try it.

Back