nother stupid question

tym89

so gonna mount my egt probe. post turbo or pre turbo. and now with drilling and tapping while still having manifold still mounted, start with small bits and work up or what should I do. greatly appreciate it guys :thankyou2:

Pre turbo. Pull the turbo to drill is preferred, seen a guy use grease on the drill bit to catch shavings and a small magnet for the rest too.

The manifold is soft cast, it drills easy.

ok now where should I do it. near the front of the manifold or near the back. I know cylinder 6 runs a little hotter than the rest so on the rear would be best then eh

Just choose a volute and drill baby drill. Don't go in the middle.

If you drill it with no grease and start the truck you will be fine. A cold turbine isn't going to let small shavings stick to it or damage it. Drill it, tap it, and move on to more fun man. If you have seen some of the crap people use on their homemade compound piping you would have no worries. Boogers of slag hanging all over the place on some.

Found this on the interwebs.....

EGT%20preturbo.jpg

Yeah I don't really like that one I vote you look for another LOL

You're kidding me... You found that?

Did you happen to notice that your old truck had a 1/8" npt plug in the "do not drill" area?

:hehe:

No lie. I was so dumb 14 yrs ago. LOL

OP: They are normally put in the rear half as shown because the rear cylinders will have a slightly higher temp than the front ones. $.02

Last edited:
and now with drilling and tapping while still having manifold still mounted, start with small bits and work up or what should I do. :thankyou2:

Don't worry about removing the turbo or manifold just leave the truck on and when you break through it'll blow the shavings back at you. And you don't need to step the bits it's pretty soft

Did you happen to notice that your old truck had a 1/8" npt plug in the "do not drill" area?

:hehe:

No lie. I was so dumb 14 yrs ago. LOL

OP: They are normally put in the rear half as shown because the rear cylinders will have a slightly higher temp than the front ones. $.02

Yea I knew...