now im paranoid

inline6359

Microwaving cats since 01
Well since i got the twins installed i havent really had the chance to haul a trailor so after i was done running around with a 24K tandem dual deckover today i might have got a little carried away. There is this hill on my way home in shippingsport pa and there was this durango in front of me by about a mile doing the speed limit which was 40. So at the base of the hill i drop to 4th mash it snd shift to 5th. log story short im at 53 psi of boost climbing this hill like it isnt even there i pass the durango almost at the top at almost 80, minmd you i started from 35 at the base and this hill is an easy 8-9% where i was accelerating. Well i pass them and abou 100 ft infront of them i hear the dreaded BANG. Thought i **** a compressor wheel. Sell i eventually find out i bleo my intercooler boot in half and i did a roadside fix and went home. Well since this has happend it has me paranoid, not sure y but i want some thing answered.

1. I noticed today that if i sit there and let RPM climb gradually from idel to 3300 once i get to about 3200-3300 i get a blue haze of smoke.
2. Before twins install the truck would start up finr with no problem now it fires right up but it may spit and sputter fopr a few second and then smooth out. also when it does this i get grayish-whitish smoke.
3. Once i fire it up before i installed the twins i could just leave no matter hor could if i remember correctly, but now if i leave when it is cold it will spit and sputter at about 1800 rpms shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th (i start in second) but once it warms up it is fine. (it did this when i had my fuel pressure gauge installed and i read 50psi at idel and 30 at WOT, but if i remember correctly it took a while for my fuel pressure to climb. Not sure on that i will have to get it hooked back up and check.
4. and once again it still sputters when i dead rev it at about 1800rpm and it didnt do it before i did the twin install.

Do i ahve anything to worry about or does it sound like my timing has slipped and a good timing advance will fix it?

Thanks rick

I would go a head and check your timing. What did you have it set at before?

could it happen from the time i parked it to tear it down to when i got it running again? I tightened the spring 2 click instead of the 3 you told me. does it sound like they are to tight or to loose?

I second the timing slipped

When I put my 370s in I dropped my timing to 16* when I did that I had a faint miss and a decent stutter at around 2k rpm when reved no load and the truck was cold. once warmed up it cleared and was not noticeable. Since then I advanced my timing and it cleared up and is now at 18.5* and 99% of the common 370 surge is gone, miss is gone, and so it the stutter

sounds to me like your timing slipped when the intercooler hose blew, jmho

Smokem said:
Some stumble is common with 4K governor springs, it usually lessens over time. I would advance the timing and tighten the governors, initiation and 3.
But that is just my problem, i installed the 4k kit biginning of last winter and never had a problem with the stutter when reveed until i tore it down for the twins.

so i guess what i will do is click them one more clisk and worry about the timing about mid december. But when i clicked my springs twice my rpm jumped from 500 to about 750, how much higher will it go with one more clisk. also where is the high rpm stop and the screw to adjust the idle?

rick

So i need to go one more click to be done with it? Also what you are saying is i may never get this stutter out of my pump? That is fine with me as long as it dosent mean i am hurting anything or losing performance smoewhere. But i do think that the stutter when it is still cold can be fixed and i hop timing will do that.

Rick