NV271 Transfer Case Reassembly

RD TRCTR

Diesels, Burn Outs & Tits
I took the t-case apart to install the big input shaft. I am now having an issue getting the t-case back together. When I attempt to put the rear case on to the front case the shift rail is not lining up to the point that I now have witness marks from the shift rail on the rear case.

Are there any special tricks for getting the shift rail to line up with the rear case?

If it matters, I have tried with the front case vertical and horizontal, no such luck. It almost appears like I need a second set of hands to pull the main shaft (causing the shift rail to move) towards the front output shaft to get the shift rail to align with the rear case.

Take a pic of how you have the case apart now. I just did one and it went right back together, no issues.

Do you have the rear tail housing off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help, but I am an idiot.

I removed the internals to make sure that I had everything installed correctly and I didn't. The cog/ collar that allows 4 low was installed upside down. Flipped it over as it should be and everything went together easily.

The good thing about them is they will only go together one way 99% of the time.

The good thing about them is they will only go together one way 99% of the time.

And apparently I found the 1%...

I had the rear case mounted and sealed to the front case, let it sit over night to cure before moving onto anything else.

Went out last night to finish reassembly and noticed that I couldn't put the snap ring on the main shaft after it protrudes through the bearing. Pulled the t-case back apart, and it looks like the main shaft is sitting about 3 mm too low.

So, I completely disassembled the t-case again and left it sitting for the night.

Anyone have any thoughts? The main shaft sits in the back of the input shaft and that should be the only thing that impacts its position relative to the rear case and bearing. Do I need to try pulling on the main shaft to get it to fully seat in the bearing?

Uh oh. Hmmm, well I don't know. I've had my share of screws up trying to get them back together but always figured it out just but messing around with everything until o saw my mistake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back