nv4500 carnage

FastCR

Breaks stuff
any ideas? :bang

0711091233.jpg

0711091334.jpg

0711091336a.jpg

Cause? More importantly, what do I need to order/replace?

wow, im used to the other end being broke, LOL... was it low on oil?

Ouch! Thats not very fun when that happens... Im waiting for my nv4500 to blow up...

I did the same thing. Ran the truck low tranny fluid.. My 4500 lookied exactly the same, actually a little worse..

thats the thing, it was leaking a little bit out of the front seal so I was checking it daily, never letting it get low, including when it failed.

I'm guessing replace don't repair?

thats the thing, it was leaking a little bit out of the front seal so I was checking it daily, never letting it get low, including when it failed.

I'm guessing replace don't repair?

That sucks!

If nothing else is wrong... then a new input and counter shaft, then I would disassemble the rest inspecting for any further damage. If that was due to an oil issue.... good chance that there could be some other questionable items to address. Either way it won't hurt to tear into it... if you can handle a little down time.

I can send you a PDF manual tonight if you need it!

Let us know......

That sucks!

If nothing else is wrong... then a new input and counter shaft, then I would disassemble the rest inspecting for any further damage. If that was due to an oil issue.... good chance that there could be some other questionable items to address. Either way it won't hurt to tear into it... if you can handle a little down time.

I can send you a PDF manual tonight if you need it!

Let us know......

thanks I actually just bought the manual online an hour ago and have been going through it.
I wound up takin a nap pissed off and didn't wake up until about 1:00AM, so I've gotta wait a few more hours before the parts house opens to loan me a spindle socket to pull off the 5th gear nut.

My only problem with downtime is I have to move back to MT next month. Either I fix it, replace it, or tow it. I was planning on borrowing dad's dmax to move my stuff in a box trailer, but towing the truck back is gonna be another trip and a flatbed rental.

Dad's willing to loan me ~$500. I can probably make it 700 if I find a complete GM 4x4 that I can just throw a cummins input in and go.

what all did it break? looks like possiby the main shaft and stripped the countershaft? i cant tell by the pic, mainshaft looks like it may be ok?

the first gear in the cluster is part of the input shaft, then the counter shaft 4th gear. Further inspection later this week...

That is usually caused by Low oil level and driving/towing. If you didn;t hurt the front of the mainshaft you could replace just the input and countershaft and a bearing or two and be done....

Becareful getting a Gm trans as some years the cases were different a much smaller front bearing retainer hole and I believe that they also had a different gear ratio in the trans and would not be happy with the cummins.

IKE