NV4500 or NV5600 for towing?

zstroken

For $$$ your name here
Which trans for under 25K towing? What needs to happen to make the 4500 survive in say a 450-500HP truck with a small set of twins(ie will make some torque in the 1700-2000rpm range)

I never had a problem with my 6th gear. How heavy are you talking?

I haven't had any problems either with my NV5600, probably around 20K-22K. I had heard of issues with them though. Curious if once you put in the full splined mainshaft and the updated 5th gear nut if the nv4500 becomes more reliable.

nv4500

I have heard the same thing about nv5600's but have never found anybody that actually had a problem. If you are looking to upgrade your nv4500 may be try quad4x4.com

NV4500 is easier on the wallet if you have problems....but the gap between 3rd and 4th can be a bit(h sometimes. 12 or 24V? If 12 a GSK makes this less of a bit(h. I believe the most you can do to beef them up is larger input shaft, fully splined main shaft, and a upgraded 5th gear nut. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't have any experience towing with a standard trans Vp sorry. My previous CR NV5600 with 4.10's towed like a dream though...even stock! :eek:

I'll definitely vote for the 5600.

The 5600 supposedly doesn't like being lugged in 6th gear...I don't know many transmissions that do like to be lugged in OD when towing "heavy".

A good friend of mine went through a handful of 4500s, and finally went to a 5600 with about as much power as your target, but he was hauling heavier and didn't break it. Now he's got quite a bit more power and is dragging more weight and the trans gives him fits every now and then. If you want more info, I can PM you his info.

I've also heard bad things about both transmissions living up to heavy loads. The bottom line is how you drive and how hard on parts you are. This is what I pull with mine- tipping the scales at 30.5k+ combined vehicle weight, and I'm running a single 64 turbo, timing, cam, a 3850 sfi sbc dd, etc, that likes to rev well passed 3k when towing, but the cam still allows it to pull like a common rail down low. I always am under the impression that RPMs are easier on parts cause you don't have the torque breaking them. I enjoy the 4500 and have used both to tow heavy and they both work well. 4500s seem to be easier and cheaper to get/and get parts for. Good luck!

Attachments

• bobcatandexcavator.jpg
    bobcatandexcavator.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 0
i have a 4500 and a 3600ddc with the upgraded input shaft on 38's and 3.54 gears. Broke 4 4500 built by ats. DONT LET THEM BUILD IT!!!!! The bolts holding the main shaft in were not locktite and were HALF way threaded out when i gave up on them and took it to a local shop which would be why i kept breaking gears. I had them tear it down order an all new main shaft and second gear. Sent all the gears to south bend clutch and had them cryo treated and reassembled for about 1500 bucks and 2 weeks. Has not broke to this day knock on wood. aprox. 8 months compared to ats 3 week to 6 month throw away trannys. lol good luck

My friend that does construction has broke a stock nv4500 imput is was $380 for a new one. He just broke a nv5600 imput sled pullin and the stock imput for it was $250. So both have pros and cons

If was me id go with the 6 speed more gears the better some times just put a oil cooler on it to help with heat and upgraded shafts and dont think you would ever have a problem

towed 25-30k daily in 6th gear on a 5600 up until i sold the truck with 130,000 and never had any trouble. i know of one guy that stripped all the teeth off 6th.

My vote goes to the 5600. I have one and have never had a problem, knock on wood. If you are worried about the 6th gear just run in 5th gear. I have towed with both the 4500 and the 5600 and the gaps on the 4500 are fine DD, but once you have a good size load you hate it. there are gaps on the 5600 but they are little smaller, and are between 4th and 5th gear IIRC.