NV4500 question?

Jake N

Good Times
I have a early 90's chevy one ton 2wd with a 5spd and was wondering if it could be a NV4500? Also, can I put it behind my 93 cummins 2wd?

It could be a nv4500 but I believe the one used behind the cummins is considered an HD unit. as far as adaption goes I'm not sure. it can probobly be done pretty easy.

The dodge units use a bigger input shaft as well as a bolt pattern that is slightly different than the chevrolet. The '96 and up chevy trans has the dodge bolt pattern but still has the small input shaft. If you had the newer chevy trans you could just swap the 'shaft. Good Luck......Jason

yes its a nv4500 but you can't run it behind a cummins cause the input shaft is different and not interchangeable due to having a lower first gear.

The Chevy and Dodge NV4500's are the same for the most part. The only reason I have heard of that you can't use the Chevy 4500 is because the input shaft size is a 23 spline and the Dodge is a 29 spline. Other than that I dunno. I plan on doing this because I really need more gears for the highway and no one wants to tell me what I need to do to put a 47RH in my truck.:bang

the 92-95 chevys have a lower first gear, and different bellhousing mounting. they won't work on the cummins unless you use a chevy adapter, and then you're stuck with a weenie clutch. not worth the trouble. the chevy adapter alone is around $700.

Peter 2 SBC can build you what ever clutch you want, and Blumenthal can up-grade the input shaft...

The Chevy and Dodge NV4500's are the same for the most part. The only reason I have heard of that you can't use the Chevy 4500 is because the input shaft size is a 23 spline and the Dodge is a 29 spline. Other than that I dunno. I plan on doing this because I really need more gears for the highway and no one wants to tell me what I need to do to put a 47RH in my truck.:bang

There are a couple good writeups on swapping to a 47rh over on the DTR. Do you have a 727 now?

Back