NV4500 rebuild cost???

brianjbeach85

Guys, bought a nv4500 off a guy awhile back and he said he had to double clutch going into 4th otherwise it would grind, tranny looks bone stock with the 1 1/4 input.. only upgrade is the iron tailhousing. its a 4x4 too.

Long story short.. "how much" would it cost to pay someone or a shop... to do a rebuild kit on it??

Here's what i have:

-Rebuild kit (synchros,bearings,gaskets)
-Updated main shaft with upgraded 5th gear/nut
-1 and 3/8ths input shaft with the retainer..
-Amsoil fluid

Ballpark would help here since i have NO clue what it should cost me..

Also any recommendations on chain shops? or stick to diesel performance stuff to do the job?

Iirc book time is around 4.5hrs so probably around $400 at a good shop. Its been a while since I've done one but thats what a recall. If you were closer I'd be happy to do it for you, but shipping would be pricey.

My local guy charged me $300 for the rebuild kit, and $300 labor to rebuild my NV4500 and I brought him the trans out of the truck.

Standard Trans and Gear is where i bought my transmission from and their prices dont seem to bad either. you could easily rebuild that trans by yourself with some basic tools.

Dodge with Cummins Diesel

Anyone know of any good references to rebuild a 4500 that would give step by step and specs like proper endplay, backlash and stuff?

this website has a lot of specifics about the NV4500 even bell housing bolt patters and everything. it gives the specs for end play but didnt see anything on back lash

High Impact - NV4500 5spd General Information:

Last edited:
It is but like stated make sure you stack the parts as they belong on the shafts so that you put them back together the correct way.

I paid $1600-1700 IIRC. It was a full rebuild with a fully splined mainshaft including R&R.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Mine was right at $1100 fully rebuilt and upgraded 1 3/8" input shaft.

I took a friends nv4500 which was attacked by the 5th gear nut into "Anaheim Gear & Standard Trans." I brought the trans into them and they rebuilt it with new syncros and updated fully splined mainshaft for $750 total and it was done in a day.

id just do it yourself they are very simple. when i did mine i found a thread on pirate 4x4 i believe that gave the end play.

Around a 1000$ from Allstate gear in San Antonio tx. Comes with a warrenty. And all new gears and syncros

I'd say do it yourself if u have a lil time. Look on pirate 4x4 and get ur specs... I had to do mine 7 times before i swapt a 6 spd in, even worked on a couple of buddies trans. very easy for the first timer... but otherwise since u have all the parts for a rebuild already, shouldn't b more than 500

My last one cost $1200 for the rebuild from AAMCO. It was $800 for the rebuild kit and around $300 for labor. I had them also install a 1 3/8" input shaft which I supplied to them.

My last one cost $1200 for the rebuild from AAMCO. It was $800 for the rebuild kit and around $300 for labor. I had them also install a 1 3/8" input shaft which I supplied to them.

they got you good bud. the rebuild kits are like 300 for the master kit, unless they bought some gold plated kit.

Anyone know of any good references to rebuild a 4500 that would give step by step and specs like proper endplay, backlash and stuff?

I rebuilt mine myself with a 1000 page manual that covers the entire dodge 1997 ram truck