NV4500 Rebuild Question

smokeycummins

I just finished up putting together my NV4500 with a full rebuild. As I hold the output shaft and turn the input shaft there is quite a bit of drag that I can barley turn it by hand, I'm positive I have all the right parts in all the right places and facing the right direction. For some reason I was expecting that the input would just freewheel easily, is this how its suppose to be or should I take it back apart? Also I know that the endplay tolerances are right and that not whats dragging. Thanks!

Lubrication does wonders, is everything doused in the chrysler stuff? If you put it together right it has to work. I can see where it would take some time for the synchros to get lubed enough to be smooth. It probably just needs to be run and broken in

you need to check end play. if it acts like that i doubt you put something together right or used too thick of shims on the bearings and its binding up.

End play is .002 each shaft, plus loosening the retainer bolts doesn't change anything. Do the syncos drag a little until their broke in?

I agree with it needs lubed and broke in. If you loosen the retainer bolts that is the same as giving it more backlash for trial n error purposes. their maybe just some anti rust film on all the new parts as well hanging up a bit. between 2and6 thousands always works good on mine to allow good shifting but hold up good as well

I just got mine rebuilt and it's still sitting in the garage un-lubed. I'll check it tomorrow and let you know how free spinning it is.

End play is .002 each shaft, plus loosening the retainer bolts doesn't change anything. Do the syncos drag a little until their broke in?
Iirc its supposed to be closer to .006. I think you got it a little tight. With lube on the moving parts it should spin easily. I still think something is in a bind

Thanks 605CUMMINS, can you tell me how hard it is to hold the output shaft and turn the input by hand? Also try moving the input around, can you feel any play be hand. Even at the .002 end play I can feel the end play by hand. The manual I have says between .002 and .006 endplay, I figure that as things seat and break in everything will loosen up a little, but I'm no expert.

Back