NV4500 rebuild, which syncros to choose

D-LUX

Just another white guy
First off let me give you some back ground on the truck, it's an 01 QCSB 4x4 134,000 ish miles, has some injectors, tst comp, he351, supporting mods, southbend street dual disk, southbend hydros, etc....

Ever since we had the trans built by a company here local its never really shifted right. All the gates were super tight even when the truck had the stock single disk. So I'm going to dive into this time.

Now that it's had the dual disk plus a ton of "spirited" driving the syncro for 4th gear is gone again.

I've been looking at the rebuild kits from standard trans. and noticed I could get the stock style carbon fiber/Kevlar syncros, or get the brass units.

Is there any advantage to going full brass? Will it shift slower/faster? Also is there anything I can do to help these syncros live longer? The trans does have the full splined mainshaft with the upgraded 5th gear nut already.

Any input is welcome

Thanks,
Scott

/i\

The correct fluid helps syncros live longer. I put AMSOIL in mine and have ~60k on the rebuild with no issues. People recommend different types of fluid, but as long as you don't run something thin like ATF, you should be fine.

Do you have a manual yet?

The correct fluid helps syncros live longer. I put AMSOIL in mine and have ~60k on the rebuild with no issues. People recommend different types of fluid, but as long as you don't run something thin like ATF, you should be fine.

Do you have a manual yet?

No not yet, been searching around and quad4x4 seems like there's is decent with full color pictures

Recommend anyone's in particular

/i\

First off let me give you some back ground on the truck, it's an 01 QCSB 4x4 134,000 ish miles, has some injectors, tst comp, he351, supporting mods, southbend street dual disk, southbend hydros, etc....

Ever since we had the trans built by a company here local its never really shifted right. All the gates were super tight even when the truck had the stock single disk. So I'm going to dive into this time.

Now that it's had the dual disk plus a ton of "spirited" driving the syncro for 4th gear is gone again.

I've been looking at the rebuild kits from standard trans. and noticed I could get the stock style carbon fiber/Kevlar syncros, or get the brass units.

Is there any advantage to going full brass? Will it shift slower/faster? Also is there anything I can do to help these syncros live longer? The trans does have the full splined mainshaft with the upgraded 5th gear nut already.

/i\

Think the first thing you need to figure out is what style and hopefully manufacture syncros they used/installed. My guess is China made brass.

My recommendation is OEM, with Syntorque oil (OEM). Tearing into these things is not a lot of fun. The manual calls out for a lot of specialized pullers etc. Yes it can be done without them, but still requires fabing up tools to get the job done. Syncros should last at least 150K miles. Abuse them at all and all bets are off.

No problem. Good luck on the rebuild. The main thing is to take your time and keep everything clean. I wanna say the only tool I needed was a spanner wrench.

Yeah I'm worried since it already has an aftermarket 5th gear retaining nut that I'm going to need to make some kind of tool to remove/reinstall and torque it, but we'll see

/i\

The fixes I've seen still use a spanner wrench and have set screws on them so you should be fine. Also, the end play is important to set correctly. Make sure you have a good dial indicator.

The standard 5th gear wrench for a dodge 4500 will fit the upgraded nut. I would recommend it the 5 gear nut tq is 250-325. If the updated shaft is like most I've seen 5th gear and the rear mainshaft bearing are slip fit so u won't need a puller. Unless u pull the countershaft then you will need a puller to pull rear bearing off countershaft. As for syncros I use oem with amsoil got 100k on mine and about 40k on my dads no problems to date.

Best 5th gear nut socket i made was made from a Ford Dana 60 spindle nut socket. Cut it apart and welded a longer piece of pipe in it. Works great!!!

Best 5th gear nut socket i made was made from a Ford Dana 60 spindle nut socket. Cut it apart and welded a longer piece of pipe in it. Works great!!!

I built the same thing. Everybody thinks its a POS... until they need to borrow it. :lolly: