o-rings and gasket question

kasey200

Sorry for *bdh* but i am haveing troubles..

1. I can't find a machine shop that knows what i'm talking about "machining a head to accept o-rings" Is there some info out there somewhere, where i can get details and maybe some pics of how it's done? also what part # are you guys using for the o-rings?

2. What headgasket should i use? part #'s would be a huge help. i am also going to re-seal the entire motor. who make a good gasket kit? my dealer wants almost $900 for the upper and lower gasket kits.

Thank very much guys!

I just used a machine shop in denver to do my o rings in my head. There name was Mountain High Performance they are right next door to ATS. They do alot of diesel machine work and did a great job on mine. I called around to alot of shops to get mine o-ringed but no one new how to do it and I didn't trust a shop to learn on mine. I would definately find a shop that has done them before.

where are you guys getting the actual o-rings? also where is the best place to get the original headgasket. they aren't cheap from the stealership.

The shop that cut the rings in my head provided the wire also. I bought a head gasket from the dealer here it was $110.00 or some where close to that I'll have to check my receipt again. You might contact SNEDGE on here and see what he can get you for parts he is a cummins dealer. Another option might be going to your local big truck cummins dealer sometimes they can get parts cheaper than the light duty truck dealerships.

where are you guys getting the actual o-rings? also where is the best place to get the original headgasket. they aren't cheap from the stealership.

I have the head gaskets and wire in stock. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Curious Guy's I need to do this soon but as usual the funds are low and I have heard of Guys' doing this without using studs and having excellent results with just good preparation and new head bolts?Sorry did not mean steal your thread just wondering is all.....

Oring the the head forget about the studs out of at least 50 heads that Ive oringed less then half used studs with.If down the line put the studs in if you think you need to.

Let me ask you this once O ringed what can the head withstand as far as boost presure? My next move will be twins. Can the Orings withstand that kind of boost without studs?

Depends on how you have your chargers set up, and choice of charger. Don't forget timing, injectables and drive pressure will effect cylinder press greatly.

can someone tell me how much $$ average to get the head machined and o-ringed and, if you do this do you have to replaced the head gasket or can you reuse the exsisting one?

I paid 300 to have my head oringed the block was another 300. You can not I repeat can not reuse your old gasket.

I paid $330.00 to get enough wire for eight cylinders deck the head and cut the grooves. That price was if I took the head apart and cleaned it before taking it. Otherwise it was another 150 to have him take it apart and put it back together.

Back