O-rings or Fire Rings

dodge359

Just wanted to find out which is better. I need to get one done as I am tired of blowing head gaskets:eek:wned: , I know I need a bigger or twin turbos. I have heard bad things about fire rings but I have also been told 0-rings arent that good. Let me know what you think and why.

Here is my take....

Fire -rings: for a strictly competition vehicle. They will hold more cylinder pressure than o-rings The problem we see is the longevity of fire-rings is not as good as o-rings.

O-rings: Work great for a street truck and have awesome longevity. They do not hold as much cylinder pressure but have been proven to hold over 900 HP.

Doug

Jetpilot said:
Here is my take....

Fire -rings: for a strictly competition vehicle. They will hold more cylinder pressure than o-rings The problem we see is the longevity of fire-rings is not as good as o-rings.

O-rings: Work great for a street truck and have awesome longevity. They do not hold as much cylinder pressure but have been proven to hold over 900 HP.

Doug

^ What he said!

Jetpilot said:
Here is my take....

Doug

Doug,

Could you explain why fire rings have a longevity issue, please.

Thanks,

Mike

I like o-rings in the block- they handle anything I've thrown at it. I also had orings in the head on my '99 and it held everything I put its way too. I also like onion rings but that's another story. :hehe:

brandon.

Jetpilot said:
Here is my take....

Doug

They seem to have held on my truck over the last 4 years!

Jim

Call Schied diesel. They'll be able to tell you the pro's and con's of both.

Or Haisley's, They provided me with mine, good knowledge on the project and also provide all of ATS's so called "ATS head gasket and fire-rings". lol Crack Me Up!

I would think the biggest thing is the quality of the machining and if the install is done properly. Properly torqued several times, the studs should properly stretch and gives the wire a chance to cut into the fire ring of the head gasket. I've heard failures with both. Seems most can be attributed to either improper machining or improper install. If done right, both methods should be viable from what I can discern.

Tiger Rag said:
I would think the biggest thing is the quality of the machining and if the install is done properly. Properly torqued several times, the studs should properly stretch and gives the wire a chance to cut into the fire ring of the head gasket. I've heard failures with both. Seems most can be attributed to either improper machining or improper install. If done right, both methods should be viable from what I can discern.

I have to agree...
As in most things in life the quality of the work is the the most important part. I have seen a poorly done O-ring job that had protrusions ranging from .015-.007" . Try and get that to seal:hehe: