Odd swap issue on 24V p-pump swap w/video

CSnyder

Snyder-Motorsports
Truck info: 2001 auto with 155K. truck ran fine with VP and last year installed a set of fresh 250's with 300 bar, BD twins, and full head job with studs and pushrods and has under 5000 miles since then but drove in the shop smooth last week with VP in place.

bought all new parts: fresh benched p-pump, lines and spacer, AD 200, front cover, drilled crossovers, Eatsoot cam sensor relocator and oil inlet for outside of pump, Fluidampr, and Bullet cam 184/210

Everything went together fine and after bleeding, it fired up and ran horrible. I have reset timing a dozen times, adjusted fuel pressure multiple times, welded one hole shut on the return to hold fuel pressure, verified TDC with drop valve method, unhooked the solenoid to tie it open, reinstalled crossovers with stock ones, swapped in another benched pump, bled the fuel lines a dozen times, etc. Nothing Ive done changes how it runs. It belches black smoke continuously and fills the shop up fast. Truck shakes violently and will not idle on its own even though the last pump I installed came off a running smooth engine. I set pump and engine both at TDC for the last start with the video below. The only part changed that I havent looked into further is the cam. The crank and cam are keyed and I took a pic that verifies crank to cam timing is dead on. Ive talked to a few other guys with knowledge and they cant figure it out either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnkrzzOeU1M&feature=youtu.be

Ive double checked valve lash multiple times also and fuel pressure is 35 to 40 plus.

Ive only seen one other truck belch black smoke idling, and it was a completely ragged out vp44 truck with horrible compression. With his 6x.022 injectors it hazed dark black smoke at idle.

I think I would be swapping injectors... perhaps some trash got in them?

Where is the timing set at?

This reminds me of my truck. I never could get the timing set rite. That is why I removed the p-pump setup.
it always hazed at idle, never ran smooth, and never really had good power. Sold the pump to a guy with a 12v. It runs like a cheetah on steroids. Smooth and quick.

Ive only seen one other truck belch black smoke idling, and it was a completely ragged out vp44 truck with horrible compression. With his 6x.022 injectors it hazed dark black smoke at idle.

truck ran great with the VP.

I think I would be swapping injectors... perhaps some trash got in them?

Im gonna try that this afternoon. I only have a set of 50's here but its worth trying.

cam timing?

reread my 1st post

Where is the timing set at?

This reminds me of my truck. I never could get the timing set rite. That is why I removed the p-pump setup.
it always hazed at idle, never ran smooth, and never really had good power. Sold the pump to a guy with a 12v. It runs like a cheetah on steroids. Smooth and quick.

reread my 1st post

Could it be that the camshaft was manufactured wrong with the key way being off centre?

You have tried a new pump, you cleaned the system and it ran great prior to doing the conversion, so your process of elimination would be the cam timing next

Sent from my smartass phone

Could it be that the camshaft was manufactured wrong with the key way being off centre?

You have tried a new pump, you cleaned the system and it ran great prior to doing the conversion, so your process of elimination would be the cam timing next

Sent from my smartass phone

After I try the 50's I have this is my next thought. Just havent wanted to pull the entire front apart again until I eliminated the entire fuel system but at this point Im about ready to go back to the VP system if I cant figure it out. I contacted the cam builder and he assures me this is a new cam and not a regrind, but with machines even mistakes can happen.

I'm gonna bet injectors. I've installed that bullet cam before and it ran fine.

One of my trucks did this when I had one exhaust valve to tight.

Back