oil change help 6.0 powerstroke

templar514

Hi everyone, just curious, do I have to use a torque wrench putting the oil filter cap back on? Also, what size wrench is the oil pan plug call for? I am missing wrenches that somehow materialize in my dads toolbox at his house. LOL. It's true. Also thanks to everyone for their patience and help with my dopey questions. I'm new to this and it's my first diesel.

I dont torque my filter cap. It will bottom out and seal ok without any tools if you got a decent grip.

The O-ring seals to the side of the housing, so the cap just needs to be down so it just touches the the top of it. It is very easy to over tighten.

I can't remember the size of wrench for the plug. I installed a Fumoto valve a while ago.

The first time I changed mine I use a paint marker to create an index mark on the backside of the cap to the housing. I knew I would wind up overtighting it and breaking it eventually. Now everytime I change the oil I just tighten it until its seated then line up the marks.

I think the drain plug is 19mm. As for the cap I use a 36mm and lightly snug it.

Back