Oil Cooler Pressure Test Setup

4x4dually

If anyone is interested, here is a quick, cheap set up for testing a oil cooler. Test pressure is 70 psi.

Small, tapered, rubber plug or I've also seen a wine bottle cork used. It is easier to seal if the plug is tapered and small enough to go half way in the hole. Large, flat plugs are hard to seal.

IMG_5072.jpg

Using a valve stem, drill a hole in a steel plate that matches the mounting hole for the stem. I don't remember exactly what size, but it was the next drill bit in the index down from the 1/2. 31/64 or 15/32. Stick it in the hole and place the rubber boot in the hole of the cooler. The part I used was a TR600HP

Vehicle Maintenance | Valves | High Pressure Snap-In Valve - TR600HP | B205069 - GlobalIndustrial.com

IMG_5075.jpg

Then put a clamp on top of the plug and one on each side of the metal plate.

IMG_5071.jpg

Add air and check with a reagular tire guage. Set it at 70 psi. Drop entire rig in a bucket of water and look for bubbles.

Maybe this will help someone. :D

Phrack no....it jus sat in the bucket and stared up at me like "you're a jackass." :hehe:

So, either the gaskets were going out....which I can't really see a place on them that can put oil the coolant....or it was a bust. I flushed it good and drove it to work today. I'll watch it. If oil keeps showing up....guess I'll have to do that head gasket when I do the cam.

Out of curiosity...can a head lift a tad the reseal? It appears that it got some oil in it but isn't putting much in there now. I should know by the end of the week if it has stopped.

Last edited:
Depends do you use hard water in the engine? I had a builder tell me if a head is leaking a little run the hardest water you can find. LOL

I have head that soft water will corrode them faster than anything...hear/say? Dunno. I think I'll just dump some Bar's Leak in the oil, coolant, and washer fluid and call it a day.

I have head that soft water will corrode them faster than anything...hear/say? Dunno. I think I'll just dump some Bar's Leak in the oil, coolant, and washer fluid and call it a day.

Get some irontite from our "friendly" resident cummins supplier expert(snedge in case you don't think he matches that description) Stuff works very well!

Get some irontite from our "friendly" resident cummins supplier expert(snedge in case you don't think he matches that description) Stuff works very well!

I don't want to ****** it all up because hopefully in the next year or two I'll sell it and get a mega cab....but I'll look this snake oil up real quick.

Ahhhh ha...

Irontite Sealers and Additives

Last edited:
The flush would be nice. Most of the crap however is in the puke bottle. That might have to come off and get dunked in diesel.

Back