Oil cooler question???

leeso

I started to loose drive today and found not a lot of oil in the transmission and a lot in the radiator. Is it common for the heat exchanger to fail and is there a upgraded cooler?

Fleece Performance makes a very nice coolant by-pass kit that eliminates the factory heat exchanger. Great product that I'd highly recommend.

http://fleeceperformance.com/cummins-coolant-bypass-kit.html

IMAG0742_zpszjvfruo7.jpg

1526422_10201748425206390_365051766_n_zps092621b2.jpg

1557678_10201748425766404_1933565406_n_zps29dabf76.jpg

Do I have to take the engine out for that? So that heat exchanger is only for cold climates then?

Forgot that you're down under, lol. I'd invest in an aftermarket transmission cooler too if you decide to delete the heat exchanger.
I've heard of people installing these by removing the cross member and jacking the front of the engine up, it can be done but sounds to be a PITA. Mine was done with the engine out, hardest part was removing the rear freeze plug.

He has oil in the coolant! that is a pressure bypass!
Haven't heard of too many coolers failing but I guess it could happen!
Just replace it with a new factory unit they are stout and very functional! If you tow at all you will need it DO NOT DELETE! I've been down that road and ended up putting it back on! Even with two tranny coolers with fans I couldn't get the temps down when pulling hard! And in cold climates running cold tranny fluid is BAD!
Be sure no coolant is in the tranny bad things happen very fast with coolant contamination!

I have seen several of the factory heat exchangers fail and interchange trans fluid and engine coolant. I don't live in a cold climate and none of my truck have a heat exchanger on them for this reason.

Do you tow YoungDiesel? I live in central Queensland we might get down to below 0 a couple times a year in the mornings I've deleted the grid heater and it still starts easy. I drained the coolant so I hope it don't get any coolant in the trans. I might just delete it and see how it goes and see if it has stuffed the transmission and if it has then I'll pull the lot and do that coolant mode from fleece and get in touch with firepunk.

I do tow a lot. When I remove the factory heat exchanger I add a cooler with a fan. Never see over 150/160 degrees.