Oil other than 15w-40?

I would like to switch to a thicker oil something like a 15w-50 or 20w-50 on my next change but I have never seen any that was for diesels.

Does anyone know of any oil that is ok to run in my DD 12v that is XXw-50?

Thanks!

oreilly auto parts has a oil that is called mystic and it is a 15-50 for diesel engines, i beleive it is a synthetic blend also.

If you want scrap use synthetic! Brand Penn or any type of petroleum oil

I would be leery of anything not directly intended for diesels if you plan on street driving mostly, and wracking up lots of miles on oil changes.
Diesels need a high-detergent motor oil to keep all the soot suspended in the oil, which most racing oils do not include.

Can I ask why you want thicker oil?

Since the engine has 220,000 miles on it I figure the tolerances have opened up a little and the thicker oil might help a little.

asauer said:
I would be leery of anything not directly intended for diesels if you plan on street driving mostly, and wracking up lots of miles on oil changes.
Diesels need a high-detergent motor oil to keep all the soot suspended in the oil, which most racing oils do not include.

I agree thats why I wanted to check on here to see if anyone knew of a diesel rated oil that was __w-50.

I change my oil every 2500-3000 miles with Rotella 15w-40, with synthetic could I stretch it out more? I run WIX filters also...

Amsoil makes a 20w-50 that I ran in my old engine for a wile.

SAE 20W-50 Synthetic Premium Protection Motor Oil (ARO)
Formulated for use in both gasoline and diesel engines. Offers multi-functionality and excellent wear protection. Ideal for applications where the extra protection of a higher viscosity oil is desired. Excellent for motor homes and older vehicles, as well as most types of modern equipment. Also compatible for use in motorcycles.

Performance specifications include: API SL/CF, CI-4 Plus

I use Schaeffer 15w40 synthetic blend on a 98 Dodge 24 valve have 550,000 miles on it and change every 20,000 miles, uses 1 qt between changes.

Have you done oil anysilis?
2,500- 3000 seems way to small of an interval to change your oil. Send out an oil sample and see what they say you motor needs/wants. you should be able to go 5k with out a problem. (IMHO)

2xx,000 is some miles yet noting to worry about any more than the 15w-40

Back