oil pressure help

NGA Ram

I have a 99 dodge CTD and I am having big trouble with the oil pressure. A couple weeks back i started loosing oil pressure at an idle and start up couldn't build any up. I changed the oil filter, the oil, and the oil pressure regulator valve. The problem stopped. Now 2 weeks later it has come back. No oil pressure at idle it finally struggles and pulls pressure with a little bit more RPM's and then pressure is way up around 80 or 90. Even after it warms up pressure stays the same. When it's around 80 and you let it idle it only takes about 3 secs and it's back at 0. any body have any help. Is there away to test the oil pump. I do have a mech. guage on it also.

Is your psi sensor faulty?

on edit I see you have a mech gauge, check for kinks or debris...

Check your:
1. pressure regulator valve
2. filter bypass valve

Where you mesure your oil pressure? From oil filter adapter or from block main gallery ?

I replaced the valve that goes into the top of the oil filter housing that has the spring. wich one is that

NGA Ram said:
I replaced the valve that goes into the top of the oil filter housing that has the spring. wich one is that
Its pressure regulator valve.

How was the old piston (plunger)? Any nicks or scratches? Moves it in housing freely?

Maybe your housing is damaged, if new piston worked only few weeks.

Piston spring free lengtht should be 2.59 inch.

Last edited: