Oil Pressure sensor Please help...

ALB6L

Hey all,

I was driving home from work today and noticed that my oil gauge would fall to zero when it idles... But when i tap the gas it climbs right back to norm.. When it falls the truck is unfased no stall of rough idle or rattling..; Could this be the sensor??

sounds like low oil pressure but could be a sender just replace and see what happens.

^^^^ Agreed. If not you have a big repair in your future, and a costly one if you wait till the LPOP gears break.

We have had a few trucks with sensors that start to leak. They soak the wiring and cause all types of problems.

Next time the truck is cool, pull the wiring off and look inside the sensor. It should be completely dry.

And you think.......

Why do you guys think the truck would continue running if lpop was lost? Truck would die pretty much within seconds, as it would have no oil supply for hpop, wouldnt it?

mabey i know a 7.3 would prolly die out but not sure on a 6.0, plus it might be just enough to keep the hpop full, he said it does have oil pressure when the rpms are up.

I thought I read somewhere that it only takes 6 psi to "Satisfy" the stock oil pressure indicator gauge......we are talking the stock factory dummy gauge right? Not some aftermarket gauge reading zero????? If it's aftermarket, hopefully you find a small hole burnt through the plastic line, or copper tubing.

Just so you know.....you can empty 10 quarts of new oil onto the floor of your shop in under 3 minutes at 65 psi through a 1/8" line.:bang:doh:

i would say with no driveabilty issues more than likely the engine has good base oil pressure and it just the switch. have seen many leak.

Just so you know.....you can empty 10 quarts of new oil onto the floor of your shop in under 3 minutes at 65 psi through a 1/8" line.:bang:doh:

You should try blowing the o-ring that goes around the oil filter housing. We backed out of the shop, pulled out onto the road (no leaks) and a mile later, the truck sputtered and then died. Popped the hood and everything was dripping oil. Checked the dip stick, nothing. Towed the truck back to the shop, pulled the drain plug, almost nothing drained out.

All 16+ quarts completely pumped out in less than a min.

i can beat that how about no feed line for the turbo. it makes a nice trail going out the shop door. "Drive them out push them back in"

If you would like to check it manualy here is the test
oh the special tool is a fitting the just fits the threads for the EOT

Oil Pressure Test

Inspection and Verification

Verify the customer concern.
Visually inspect for obvious signs of damage.
If an obvious cause for an observed or reported concern is found, correct the cause (if possible) before proceeding to the next step.
If the concern is not visually evident, check the base oil pressure.
Remove the engine oil temperature (EOT) sensor. Install the special tool.
Tighten to 12 Nm (9 lb-ft).

NOTICE: Use a backup wrench on the special tool when installing the oil pressure gauge or engine damage can occur.

Install a commercially available oil pressure gauge and check the base oil pressure. The minimum engine oil pressure specifications are 82.7 kPa (12 psi) at 700 rpm, 165.5 kPa (24 psi) at 1,200 rpm and 310.3 kPa (45 psi) at 1,800 rpm with the engine at operating temperature.
Remove the oil pressure gauge and special tool. Install the EOT sensor.
For early build vehicles, tighten to 12 Nm (9 lb-ft).
For late build vehicles, tighten to 18 Nm (13 lb-ft).
If the concern is not evident, verify the symptom. GO to Symptom Chart.

Symptom Chart

Symptom Chart Condition Possible Sources Action
Low oil pressure
Inaccurate gauge reading
INSTALL a new gauge.

Low oil level
ADJUST the oil level.

Oil dilution (fuel)
INSPECT the fuel injector O-rings.

Stuck open oil pressure regulator
INSTALL a new oil pressure regulator.

Scored/damaged oil pump
REMOVE the oil pump and inspect.

Damaged or misaligned oil filter drain back valve in the oil filter housing
INSTALL a new oil filter drain back valve.

Rear main gallery plug
REMOVE the transmission/flywheel and inspect.

Broken or damaged piston cooling jets
REMOVE the oil pan and inspect.

Front cover gasket leaks
REMOVE the front cover and inspect the gasket.

Missing gallery plugs
INSPECT for missing plugs.

Missing bearing shell(s)
REMOVE the crankshaft and inspect.

Restriction in the pickup tube or oil pan
REMOVE the oil pan and inspect.

Oil in coolant
Leaking head gasket
Leaking oil cooler and/or gasket
Damaged cylinder head
INSPECT the engine components for damage. INSTALL new components as necessary.

Coolant in oil
Leaking head gasket
Leaking oil cooler and/or gasket
Damaged cylinder head
INSPECT the engine components for damage. INSTALL new components as necessary.

Pony Kegger -

Is your post from the WorkShop Manual?

I have never heard of oil in the coolant being a result of a leaking head gasket. Does this happen?

Same thing for coolant in the oil - isn't it unlikely that it is a leaking head gasket or bad oil cooler?

yes it is from the workshop manual. yes i have seen it happen but only 2 times. you are right it is very unlikely for a headgasket to mix oil and coolent. but it is not as uncommon for a oil cooler to mix coolent in the oil after a hot shutdown. IE: not oil pressure, and 16psi of coolant pressure.

Pony Kegger -

Is your post from the WorkShop Manual?

I have never heard of oil in the coolant being a result of a leaking head gasket. Does this happen?

Same thing for coolant in the oil - isn't it unlikely that it is a leaking head gasket or bad oil cooler?

My dad used to have a '83 6.9l and had the headgasket let go and it had the oil in the coolant problem.. Saw it a lot on the IDI Ford Diesels

I thought I read somewhere that it only takes 6 psi to "Satisfy" the stock oil pressure indicator gauge......we are talking the stock factory dummy gauge right? Not some aftermarket gauge reading zero????? If it's aftermarket, hopefully you find a small hole burnt through the plastic line, or copper tubing.

Ya its the idot gauge on the dash.. And their is no driveability problems at all i just got back from a 250-300 mile trip and the truck runs great. And when it does fall out its only when the rpm are at an idle and all i have to do is tap the gas for it to kick back on... Where is the sending unit so i can check it??

THANKS EVERYONE!!!:Cheer:

i will take a pic and post it i have a 6.0 in my stall right now. i wll take the CAC tube off so you can see well.

Back