Oil pressure switch location

tubehead

After a few responses I have figured out my starting problem stems from a bad diaphriam in my VP. Several people have said I can put a N/O pressure switch in the oil pressure port and run my ground wire for my LP through it. That way once the truck starts and the switch is made it will let the LP start. Question is, where is the port located on the engine. Also someone said you could tie into the power window fuse. Are you just tieing into the power wire on the pump?

Thanks,
Travis

The way I did mine was just cut the wire that sends power to the lift pump. Then run the wire(from the lift pump) to the power window fuse. I used a fuse tap. I say power window fuse, you can use any fuse that is powered up when the key is turned on. The reason for the power window fuse is, have you ever noticed that if you turn the key on and hit the power window button, and then when you go to start the engine the window stops until you let off the starter? Well thats what your lift pump will do also. That little time when the starter is engaged, the lift pump is not running and will let the pressure fall off enough for the truck to start right up like it should.

Thanks for the responses. I picked up a pressure switch but I think I am going to tie into the power window fuse.

The oil pressure port is on top of the oil filter housing. You will see 1 line running from the top of the housing to the turbo, behind that line is a plug that is another high pressure oil port. That plug is 1/8th NPT.

As far as wiring to the starter. I'm going to give that a shot on mine, to see how it works. Personally, I run an extra weather proof fuse block for all of my accessories such as Edge box, BD rad, Trans potentiometer. all of those are tied to a relay run by the radio wire, as to minimize draw on the original systems and fuses.

Since the pump wiring normally runs directly off the battery, I would figure out a way to make it its own separate circuit controlled by an accessory, so you aren't stressing a small fuse or wiring that isn't meant to handle that kind of load.
Sean

I wired my LP to the power window fuse today. Truck is starting as it should now. Hopefully this will buy me some time to decide if I want to swap in a P pump or just use another VP.

I would think that you would money ahead to put another VP on it.