Oil Pressure???

SpyderTB

Red Owl
on my 03 cummins what should be my normal oil pressure when not towing a load?

I hope you are not relying on the factory gauge. It is nothing short of an idiot light. ;) Anyway, at approximately 2,000 RPM cruising I have about 62 psi

I was around 55-65psi when the oil was warm just cruising 70. Been awhile since my oil pressure gauge has worked.

wow im only pulling 40 @2K. Running Valvoline Blue 15/40. 40k miles.

1911 guy said:
So your saying the factory gauge is off?

I think the factory gauge is just hooked to a simple on/off pressure switch. As long as the pressure is above a certain point (7psi comes to mind) then the gauge will show good. The ECM actually calculates what the pressure should be using RPM's and such, and that's what gets displayed on the gauge. :badidea:

1911 guy said:
So your saying the factory gauge is off?
when I get in tonight, I will post a pic for you to see showing you just how far off the factory gauge is. ;)

so by your picture your oil pressure was at 89 thats what i was woundering what should the range normally be between.. on an aftermarket gauge

that was on a somewhat cold start. Normal numbers are around 62-65 psi cruising at 70 MPH and 25 at idle when up to operating temps

i just got my oil pressure guage (Auto Meter) where do i get the pressure reading off of it looks like from the top of the mount for my oil filter.....Anyone?