oil pressure

smoken250

what oil pressure should i see hooked up to the aftermarket oil filter cap on a 2006?

about 16-20 when everything is hot at idle, 60-75 at idle with cold oil, hope this helps

if the filter is restricted more than like 25psi it will bypass the filter. So you get whatever you get packed into those injectors. See why its critical to run a good oil in these things.

I never understood why international had such lousy oil pressure at idle in their engines... our 6.9 was at about 15-20 pounds at an idle, then it would snap up once you got to about 1100 rpm... had two different engines in that truck and they both did the same thing. In retrospect, I'm glad I have the automatic in mine... much harder to hurt the bottom end under load.

Any other engine, gas or diesel has always had around 40 psi at an idle. I know there's a lot of variables that go into this discussion, but under 20 psi with any width bearing seems to me to be asking for trouble... what are the dmax and cummings at for idle pressure?

But is the motor designed for pressure or volume? Example. Mustang Gerotor pumps are now volume pumps. Those motors run 5w-20 and 5w-30 oils. If grandpa tells you to run some 10w-40 or 15w-50 "Racing Oil" with the stock oil system, it will hate you.

But is the motor designed for pressure or volume? Example. Mustang Gerotor pumps are now volume pumps. Those motors run 5w-20 and 5w-30 oils. If grandpa tells you to run some 10w-40 or 15w-50 "Racing Oil" with the stock oil system, it will hate you.

No, I hear you on that point, but when the pressure changes 40 pounds from cold to operating temperature, I still tend to get nervous. I know over lubrication can be just as damaging as no oil, but man...

Anybody have numbers for the low pressure system at 4,000RPM with 250cc injectors and the HPOP trying to get as much oil it can? I would almost be willing to put 1,000 dollars on a bet that those numbers don't exist.

at 4000 rpm, with 285's from cass, low pressure oil was holding 40psi, with 215 lp oil holds 50spi at 4000 rpm

at 4000 rpm, with 285's from cass, low pressure oil was holding 40psi, with 215 lp oil holds 50spi at 4000 rpm

You are the only one to ever look at it. Everytime I ask that answer to someone they always tell me they were more concerned with looking at the road than the gauge.

I think Doug owes someone a grand LOL

Luckily I didn't give a currency. Somaliland, not widely recognised as an independent sovereign state, issues its own currency, the Somaliland shilling. Unofficial exchange rates have fluctuated between 5,750 and 6,250 shillings per dollar since late 2004 with the rate approximately at 6,000 shillings to the US dollar as of June 2008. So 1,000 Somaliland shillings is on the way. I'll even do him a favor and just send him 1 US Dollar and he can keep the change and not have to go through the hassel of currency exchange.