Oil relief valve

99Cumminsboy

Cummin on a RAMPAGE
Has anyone either shimmed the spring for the relief valve or taken the spring out and blocked it sold? Im just wondering what its suppose to open at and if anyone has replaced the spring just due to old age.
thanks in advance

Do not shut it off completely!!! They can be shinned and or replaced from old age. Preferably replaced.

depends on the clearance of your motor, RPM turned, and viscosity of oil used..

some guys get by with them blocked , but there engines are built for it and they see 100psi on a warm engine.

If I remember correctly the spec for the oil filter, is that it will internally bypass at 55psi. Meaning that if you are running more then 55psi, then the oil is not getting filtered. I could be wrong though...

The old rule of thumb though is 10 psi of oil pressure for every 1000 rpm, so if you are turning 4000 rpm, then you need 40psi.

I just replace the bypass when they go bad...

Paul

Would like to see 75-80 psi of oil pressure at 5k rpm. I think ill get a new spring and just shim it to get it where i want it.

If I remember correctly the spec for the oil filter, is that it will internally bypass at 55psi. Meaning that if you are running more then 55psi, then the oil is not getting filtered. I could be wrong though...

The old rule of thumb though is 10 psi of oil pressure for every 1000 rpm, so if you are turning 4000 rpm, then you need 40psi.

I just replace the bypass when they go bad...

Paul

there is no internal bypass in the filters... there is a bypass FILTRATION section in the filters, but no unfiltered oil exits the filter. It is the job of the bypass pressure regulator to regulate pressure and dump excess oil/pressure to the sump

I was wrong about the oil filter bypass being in the filter. It is external to the filter. The filter bypass is in the filter head, and when it opens unfiltered oil is circulated through the engine.

Here are the specs from the 05 Dodge manual:

OIL PRESSURE
SPECIFICATION SPECIFICATION
At Idle 69 kPa (10 psi)
@ 2500 rpm 207 kPa (30 psi)
Regulating Valve Opening Pressure 517 kPa (75 psi)
Oil Filter Bypass Pressure Setting 344.75 kPa (50 psi)

OPERATION
A gerotor style oil pump draws oil from the crankcase through the suction tube and delivers it through the block where it enters the oil cooler cover and pressure regulator valve. When oil pressure exceeds 517 kPa (75 PSI), the valve opens exposing the dump port, which routes excess oil back to the oil pump. At the same time, oil is directed to a cast in passage in the oil cooler cover, leading to the oil cooler element. As the oil travels through the element plates, it is cooled by engine coolant traveling past the outside of the plates. It is then routed to the oil filter head and through a full flow oil filter. If a plugged filter is encountered, the filter by-pass valve opens, allowing unfiltered oil to lubricate the engine. This condition can be avoided by frequent oil and filter changes, per the maintenance schedules found in the owners manual. The by-pass valve is calibrated to open when it sees a pressure drop of more than 345 kPa (50 psi) across the oil filter. The oil filter head then divides the oil between the engine and the turbocharger. The turbocharger receives filtered, cooled and pressurized oil through a supply line from the filter head. The oil lubricates the turbocharger and returns to the pan by way of a drain tube connecting the bottom of the turbocharger to a pressed in tube in the cylinder block.

Back