Oil return on Bottom turbo

SSSDiesel

Sparkplug
We are building a set of twins on our 94 dodge cummins and i'm not sure were we should put the oil return in the oil pan, above the oil level or below it? I've heard you can do it both ways.

I put mine above the oil level on my 95, and put a downward angle on the pipe that went into the pan to help keep the oil from hitting the crank as it swings.

Don't know if it's necessary, but I thought it couldn't hurt!
Chris

I don't know about the older blocks, but there is a second freeze plug for the turbo oil return towards the back that can be knocked out. Mine is an 01. If you have that freeze plug there shouldn't be a problem with the oil hitting the crank.

I've heard that above the oil level the crankcase pressure will actually push the oil back into the turbo. Then I've been told the opposite. I don' t know what to think

If you have that much crankcase pressure, it'll push seals out before it'll push oil back up a tube.

If you're that worried about it, add an extra engine vent, and go on.

I ran mine above the oil level for 25K miles, and then sold the twins. They've been on another truck for 2 years, and the primary still hasn't been rebuilt;)

The factory drain is above the oil level IIRC,
Chris