Oil two quarts high

kiddsplash

Dealer changed the oil the first couple of times, this last oil change (after 5000 miles) I changed the oil and pulled 17 quarts out. Any ideas doesnt look like there is any coolant in it and ford is saying there is no way they overfilled it. Ford says I could not pull 17 quarts out in the first place. Next 5000 Ill watch and see what happens I know what I put in so Ill see how much comes out next time. Just wondering if I should send in the oil for testing.

Last edited:
Absolutly, send it in to see if oyu have fuel in it. Oil testing could be the best $20.00 you could ever spend.

kiddsplash,

Dalpilot is right and yes you can get 17 and more quarts in the sump, as usual the dealer is smoking funny cigarettes!!

Mark @ DPPI

Thanks for the responses, I ordered my blackstone kit today, I hope it doesnt take 2-3 weeks. I would love nothing more than to have ford buy this truck back, and an engine would push it over the edge. Its already added up 5 trips and little over 3 weeks in the shop as it stands, and still not right.

My kit took about 5 days to arrive.

Could you fill out your sig so we can see what you have for a truck? You don't have an 03 by chance do you?

Last edited:
Nope no 03 here, Dealer actually said he can fix the 03 doesnt know why mine is such a pain. I think Mon or Friday has something to do with it. Last repair attempts helped alot, but still seems low on power compared to other 05's I have driven. Truck struggles with a 10k trailer on low grade, and steep grades slow to 65 WOT.

UOA will help. Leaking injector will cause our engines to "make" oil.

A leaking injector would explain some of my other problems as well. I wish I had a good 6.0 mechanic around here, Instead of a decent mechanic. If I diagnose the problems he checks and says Oh ya I didnt see that, or I didnt look for that, and then checks with ford and tsb's and fixes it. Sometimes I think it would be better to do a buy back or lemon law but then I am afraid to start all over. Meanwhile I continue to read the forums. Still shifts slow or sliding and then harsh @ 45mph shift and sometimes @ 75mph, low power , inconsistent smoke at throttle with additional loss of power. Any Ideas. Solenoids and Injectors sound right. Unplugging batteries for a while helps with the shifting but as soon as I put some miles on it im back to the same shifting.

Did you drain the oil filter first? If not, when you drained the pan and then put the plug back in and moved to the oil filter you let the extra oil out of the filter housing.

yep drained the filter first, no mistaking the extra oil, I filled my 15 quart pan and then a 2 liter soda bottle. Just finished taking a vacation drove about 1000 miles and it looks like its creeping up on the dipstick, at least its above the max line now. Just waiting for my oil kit to come in the mail and I think that will be the beginning of getting some of the deeper questions answered. My mileage is decreasing, this last trip with pretty lvl ground only got 14.6 never over 70 and a light foot. Hand Calculated

kiddsplash said:
yep drained the filter first, no mistaking the extra oil, I filled my 15 quart pan and then a 2 liter soda bottle. Just finished taking a vacation drove about 1000 miles and it looks like its creeping up on the dipstick, at least its above the max line now. Just waiting for my oil kit to come in the mail and I think that will be the beginning of getting some of the deeper questions answered. My mileage is decreasing, this last trip with pretty lvl ground only got 14.6 never over 70 and a light foot. Hand Calculated

Where are you? I have a kit on the shelf that I could drop in the mail tomorrow or Monday

Appreciate the offer, I ordered it from blackstone I think on the fourth so I would think it should be here real soon. I may order another just to keep on the shelf ready for the next oil change. I am in Arizona

I does sound like there is fuel getting into the oil. Fuel in the oil is more than likely comming from an injector somewhere. It is both a plus and a negative. The plus is that the fuel is cleaning the spool valves in the good injectors, the negative is the obvious, there is fuel in the oil. The other alternatives would be coolant in the oil, but that would be more obvious to find or water vapor in the oil from water condensing in the crankcase over night, but that would boil out once the oil got to operating temp.

ok the blackstone kit, where can i get it done at? and more importantly is it actually accurate?

I just typed blackstone oil analysis on my favorite search engine of choice and it came up as one of the sites listed. They have on their site everything you could think of asking except if the kit included return shipping. I figure I will learn that when the kit arrives. Still no kit as of today hopefully monday. If not I may call just to check on the status. As far as accuracy I have been told they are good. Not sure about oil guard or the others. I still dont quite understand how a leaking injector could leak fuel to the oil, My backyard mechanic skills tell me it would get burned in the cylinder, or pumped out with the exhaust. What am I missing here. Never thought this thread would go this far.

Since the injector is fired with oil and the head is full of fuel and there are only some o-rings that keep it all separated fuel can get into the oil. It doesn't have to go through the cylinder to get there.

kiddsplash said:
Thanks for the responses, I ordered my blackstone kit today, I hope it doesnt take 2-3 weeks. I would love nothing more than to have ford buy this truck back, and an engine would push it over the edge. Its already added up 5 trips and little over 3 weeks in the shop as it stands, and still not right.

FYI: if you have a local CATERPILLAR dealer near by, stop at the parts counter and buy what they call an "SOS bottle" the SOS bottles are sampling and testing kits that they use to administer equipment warranties. Most every CAT dealership has In House testing, the best part is the results are generated daily and you can see if your in trouble immediately.

Just an idea......

Nice info, It all makes alot more sense now. Can the fuel in the oil cause additional engine wear? Ill have to check on the cat dealer if we have one, Got my kit yesterday sending it in tommorow, Guess Ill know soon.

kiddsplash said:
Nice info, It all makes alot more sense now. Can the fuel in the oil cause additional engine wear? Ill have to check on the cat dealer if we have one, Got my kit yesterday sending it in tommorow, Guess Ill know soon.

Fuel in the pan is bad stuff.... diesel fuel cuts the lubricative property of the oil, the crank bearings and entire engine can suffer. Not to mention the pressure should drop some from viscosity change and that would even effect your injectors at some point.... when you said you were waiting a few weeks for the kit I was worried for you. You should take a good look at the oil on the dipstick... if it comes back with fuel in it you will be able to recognize the difference next time if there is one.

Good Luck

Back