Oily greasy film around turbo and intercooler boots and joints should I worry??

smokin_h

Hope I dont break it!!!
Well I was performing a good look under the hood of my 05 6L lookin for unusual stuff today (i probably shouldn't but it is necessary b/c I love my truck :doh: ). Ive had the truck for maybe 4 months now and have decided to give the engine a good lookin at to make sure shes in tip top condition for the winter. All looked fine except all of the turbo and intercooler boots and all joints associated seem to have developed this black oily greasy slime around and on them. I have no clue as to what this is. I dont know if this is really bad or just something normal. The truck has about 28,000 mi on it. The only thing that I can guess is causing this is that the previous owner put a "green filter" on it. I am not impressed w/ it and plan on going back to the donaldson filter here soon. Any ideas comments or suggestions would be awesome.
Thanks!!
smokin_h

Perfectly normal...it's just oil residue from the CCV that routes through the turbo and plumbing.

Any chance of an intercooler have any measureable amount of oil in it.......on a good running truck with no other problems?

Thing of it is...the piping is STILL coated. So it is still creating a restriction for the airflow inside the piping, and the intercooler. The worst of it is...this oily air is directed right into your intake elbow, and straight to all the intake ports of the heads. (Gumming everything up on it's way.)
Don't know how to get it all out of the intercooler...easy enough to get it out of the piping...just remove and clean it.

If you replace the intercooler, and do the CCV reroute...you will no longer have this problem.

BUT is oil in the intercooler ever a problem on a normal good running truck...I mean I know it would be, but is it common on our 6.0L?

It's extremely common on the 6.0's. There is a CCV mod that will eliminate the oil from going through the air system and gunking it all up. Basically you disconnect the CCV hose where it goes into the air intake from the driver side valve cover, plug the hole in the intake hose, and route a piece of heater hose from the elbow in the valve cover down the frame rail of your truck. It takes a while for the oil to work out of the CAC tubes and intercooler but it will eventually clean up and you won't have all that oily residue on your turbo lines. It also makes blowing a CAC tube/hose much less likely since they aren't greasy slick with oil.

So, just running a section of heater hose to the frame rail will solve this issue? Are there any consequences in doing this, or is it a good fix?

Well at least there is noting wrong w/ my truck but it sounds like i need to look into doin the ccv mod. do any of y'all know to or have good instructions on how to do this w/ some pics??
Thanks!!
smokin_h

It's a good fix. Some people get a canister to run it into, especially the emissions states as it does put out some vapor. Some even pipe it into the exhaust, but IMHO it's not necessary. It will take a while for the oil that's already in the system to clean out, or you can take the intercooler and piping out and give it a bath, but it's really not necessary.

every time i pop open my hood on my 6.0 i notice that residue.
i take to bluebonnet ford and get new tubes & boots put on.

solved.

When you do the reroute use a 5/8id hose. I experimented with 3/8 hose and the crankcase pressure would build up at idle with a tune in it and would start pushing oil passed the rings and smoke out the back.

Back