OKie noob 70ford/cummins swap

T.Yeager

My name is tyler yeager. I'm from oklahoma. I have a 1970 ford f100 with a 302 gas motor. i have had the truck for 10 yrs, but it has sat for 5 in my shop. i have recently decided to do a cummins swap. I'm incredibly green when it comes to ford/diesel swaps, but i'm a pro and using search and not making redundant posts. i also went 2 years to a local vocational diesel school. i dont work on diesels now, but have a descent base knowledge. i have also done moderate chassis mods and been to a small welding school. i have a descent knowledge in forced induction, and tuning from a previous import building life. working on semis and imports has left me with many physical resources i need. i hope to acquire some of the knowledge from this site i need to get started on my project... any starter advise or similar builds would be much appreciated! ill lay out a list of goals, and try to upload some pics.

the only link i can find is super old, but i'll paste it.. old ford with 20s - sapulpa, Oklahoma

-tig welded chromoly tube suspension? wall thickness? link?
-ft. straight axle convers. need to research airride or not? disc brakes. 6-10" lift. 8lug 18's or so.
-cummins swap. 12/24 valve? man trans? tcase? rearend?
-either boxxed frame or 3/4, 1 ton frame swap.
-tire size??
-BIG turbo(s) when chassis and running gear are built enough.
-the truck has near flawless paint, but it WILL be tearin up some mud, trails, and rocks wherever i feel froggy!

i have alot of searching to do!!

I'm with Scott! 2wd would be awesome!

I'm in Sapulpa by the way, and welcome to CompD!

hey thanks guys. cool to see some locals!..ok so common rail for sure.. I have just always wanted a lifted truck. are you guys thinking too difficult? or just for allround performance advantages? i threw around the initial thought of lowering it with a cummins, but if i go low i want to go super low, and wonder what kind of ifs frount end will handle the weight. nobody offers a big break kit either for 67-72 so it would have to be completely fabbed...

does anyone know of a simmilar type build? i have only found the baja style with long-travel, and a tonnn of pro street. i have found a few shortwides and long beds lowered, and i like the overall look, but i think blowin coal on big tires is the sht! im sure its just because i havent owned one, and i'm young, but they have a certain appeal...

The big brake kits for a Bumpside is use the 73-79 stock F150 disc, or use 68-79 F250 disc, but then it would be 8 lug. But, they are bigger rotors.

The big brake kits for a Bumpside is use the 73-79 stock F150 disc, or use 68-79 F250 disc, but then it would be 8 lug. But, they are bigger rotors.

I have the 73-79 disc swap for the 5lug, but the rotor options are limited. the f250 swap would definately work though.im going to look into an 8lug ifs setup. possible frount clip swap. ideas??

Back