Old School Towing Twins

66gaza

I have a 10500lb camper with a p pumped 6BT it has a HX35/14WG on it and I have just bought a new Holset Ht3B, it was so cheap I couldn't pass it up and if I don't use it I will sell it on at a later date. My Q is if I used it what combination of exhaust housing sizes would work best for a set of towing twins? I have a 12cm WG housing for a HX35, the HT3B has a 27cm divided housing but I would imagine the 23cm housing would be better for towing but with which size housing on the HX35? If I did it I would open up the WG and drill through the divider. I am not chasing high HP but would like more power with the ability to use it without constantly looking at the pyro.

Gaza

I would keep the 27 on the 3B. The smaller the housing on the bottom turbo, the longer it will take the top turbo to spool. I think I would stick with the 14cm on the 35, as the 12 might be too small without an external wastegate. if you don't like it, you could always change it later I guess.

I have a Ht60 on my set with a 23cm housing I only two with mine.I like the 23 over the 26 are the 27 housing for towing.The set of twins I built on my son's old truck had a HT3B on it with a 26 on it with a hx35/40 with 12cm the wastegate was set for low boost had it start to open up at 15psi did real well for towing.

What does the compressor wheel look like on the ht3b. the one that came on the ht3b I put on my son's had a rounded edge. it looks like the wheel is ground off. cummins put those wheels on there because of warrenty motors they didn't make much boost. After we changed to this other wheel It seem to have added at least 50 to 75 more horse and it isn't as laggy.It is square loke the hx35 wheels.

Dale

I have a Ht60 on my set with a 23cm housing I only two with mine.I like the 23 over the 26 are the 27 housing for towing.The set of twins I built on my son's old truck had a HT3B on it with a 26 on it with a hx35/40 with 12cm the wastegate was set for low boost had it start to open up at 15psi did real well for towing.

What does the compressor wheel look like on the ht3b. the one that came on the ht3b I put on my son's had a rounded edge. it looks like the wheel is ground off. cummins put those wheels on there because of warrenty motors they didn't make much boost. After we changed to this other wheel It seem to have added at least 50 to 75 more horse and it isn't as laggy.It is square loke the hx35 wheels.

Dale

It wont be used for towing much but its a camper so don't want outright power but useable when climbing without keeping one eye fixed on pyro and to spool quick but cool whatever I throw at it. The compressor wheel looks square to me, how does it compare to yours?. Did you drill the WG hole out any bigger?

LoganP does the smaller primary make the secondary slower to spool because its more restrictive and therefore slows the exhaust down? Is there really that much difference between the 23 & 27 housing in a twin setup?

Gaza

Attachments

• HT3B intake.jpg
    HT3B intake.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 57
You have the good wheel.And yes I drilled out the hole alot bigger and made a bigger piese to flap to fit.

The 23 housing will spool alot faster at lower rpm than the 27 housing.

Dale

Dumb question:

Can you put a Schwietzer sp? or Garret ex. housing on a Holset turbo? Provided they are all HT3B's?

I was told no, theyt don't interchange by Alamo turbo. I'd like to find a a 23 or 27 garret housing any one have one?
Thanks
Deo