One sick child...

vacuum pump seems to be ok, leaks are coming from up above, catching a lot of oil there (before i cleaned it) Still, not getting the oil everywhere like i was, it'll take time i guess.. and i didn't feel like driving today. I felt awful... drove a car home from school.... ridiculous...

The swinging bolt is a broken throttle spring, mine was just like it when I bought the truck.

There isn't anything missing on the injection pump that is a plug.

Check the torque on those timing cover bolts, if you see oil seeping from between the block and timing gear case it's most likely a cracked timing case.

Last edited:
Wow, did you send all these guys cupcakes before you posted?

Wagoner has the right idea, if the kdp hasn't been fixed that is one thing that really needs looked at. If the front cover is leaking you can reseal it then.

lol im probably going to end up sending cupcakes... never made anything like that before... but thats what google is for

I've been fixing a bunch of older dodges recently, all 12v motors! Every one of them had the kdp mia, busted gear cases but the gears were fine, leaking side covers and leaking fuel heaters. One had a leaking head gasket.

my headgasket was recently replaced, so i think thats good. Going to print out all this tomorrow, google what everything looks like, and where they are, and start checking stuff off. The only thing i noticed odd was a cable under the valve cover's cover.

attachment.php

If you notice towards the cab on top of the valve covers "cover" you can see that cable stuck underneath there.. I guess its no big deal?

:D I'm thinkingggggggggggggg... i found a loose bolt... MAYBE... but i didn't tighten it because i feel insecure of my stupid self... ;)

SO.

Drove around the roads for a bit, came back, laid down cardboard, and found a bolt with a lot of oil running down from it.

Heres a pic, because my rambling wouldn't tell you where its at.

attachment.php

attachment.php

theres my findings. ↑ Now that is the bolt on the... ehh.. i should know this... ehh...

Attachments

• IMG_20120509_183546.jpg
    IMG_20120509_183546.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20120509_183817.jpg
    IMG_20120509_183817.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
That bolt is for the AFC housing, the fuel shutoff solenoid is bolted to it. Tighten lightly, they tend to strip out, its aluminum.

That's the bolt holding the shutdown solinoid and afc housing on. The afc housing normally has a square oring that doesn't leak. I would tighten all the bolts on the afc snug. I don't think that bolt goes into oil but not for sure about that.

Sorry about that we were typing at same time.

Tightened it up, and let it idle for about 8+/- minutes saw bout 20 drops of oil, i think theres something else.

Dad's wondering how much it'd be to fix a headgasket, any price estimates for him, thats what hes thinking

Ok,

took it to a diesel shop here, guy looked at it, found a missing bolt and nut i beleive it was on the injector pump, replaced them, it seemed to stop the leak. Drove home, and now the delivery valves have a lot of oil on them, i believe it's coming from the dipstick. Now my dipstick end is broken i think, and there is also about 1 to 2" of give when you push it in to check the oil.

Anyone else care to chime in?

You can check it to make sure it's seated in the block. mine shoves through the bracket also.

Is there a rivet installed in the corner diagonally from the one leaking on the AFC?

It's after the fact but Oven degreasers from the "Dollar Tree" type dollar stores work magic on stripping oil and buildup. The hotter the parts, the better, and vastly cheaper than parts store degreasers.

Fast oil and fuel leaks tend to leave clean surfaces underneath the leak point. The areas around them will be gummed up.

It may be more than you want to take on, but it would be a good time to make sure the KDP is tabbed. This will knock out a crank seal install and retorque all of those leaking bolts while you're there. I'm in Bowling Green. PM me and I can give you my number if you have other questions.

So far it looks like all the old hands like it when the girls play dumb :D

Uhhh huh.. well i've got a fella to help me over in boston... he's a bit sarastic and a little hard to deal with.. i guess it's because of his 900 hp diesel world truck....

anyway. I went out and went through cans and cans of degreaser and brake cleaner cleaning.

Tightened a LOT of bolts, been driving it a lot of miles.. especially today and yesterday. yesterday i was in walmart parking lot, started the truck (midnight), thought it was in neutral, let out on the clutch... and into mr. brand new cadillac esculade..... Mom was getting in, it knocked her on the ground, the door swung and hit her head. I shut it off, rolled back, put on the brake, jumped out with the people sitting in the caddy... anyway, she went to the hospital and got xrayd, just bruises... Goes to show you that being in a hurry never pays off.

anyway...

If you feel like being randomly texted questions.. (etc.) send a text with a name or username to 270-304-6937 i'll save you.

Not always in a place where i have good service.

Oh yeah.. anyway... no-leaks so far...

Back